thirty two | bff

"I'm a wolf."

The both of us are staring at each other. I can't help but blink repeatedly at her, watching as she slowly nods and runs her hands through her red hair twirling the end a bit as she waits for me to obviously have a reaction.

It's slow to come. Possibly because what she has just dropped sounds almost as though I've imagined it. Even still, my body can only remain partially stagnant. My heart is beating the exact same pace it was beating before she said what she said, and my swinging feet only comes to a standstill.

"Again?"

"I'm a wolf." She breathes out. "That's my secret. That's what I haven't told you. I know I gave the impression... possibly even denied it, but I can't keep it anymore. I am a wolf. I'm part of Micah's pack, my mate is in the pack as well. That's how I just know certain things and can sense certain things and... hear things—"

"You're a mutt?"

Immediately, she sits up straight and sends me a rather intentionally unintentional glare at my choice of words. And to be fair, it's all in vain. It's intentional that I use the word, not only to prove her point because I know how sensitive Micah's kind is with the word, but because...

I don't know, hurt? I'm hurt. I'm hurt more than I am shocked or fearful.

"You can't use that word—"

"But it's what you are, a mutt." I now fold my arms, crossing my knee over the other.

We're in my room; we skipped school because we just can, and decided we'd hang in my room before heading out in a few. I did want us to rather be in her room at her house but apparently they are renovating or something.

Andrea sighs, scratching her forehead as she clears her throat. "Yeah... I'm a wolf."

"You didn't... think... to tell me?" I mutter. "I mean, okay, to be fair, Micah did say that they— you guys, your kind, are kinda forbidden to go around telling people about your kind because of how nosey and mouthed humans can be, but Andrea, I'm literally your best friend. I would never go telling a soul."

"You literally told me that Micah was a wolf."

Touché. "To be fair, I told you long before he confirmed it. I told you what he kept telling me. And he told me before he told me it was not allowed, and I didn't even know him like that. I know you, though. You're my best friend, I feel like that's something you'd tell me."

"Are you comparing me to your boyfriend?"

"I'm not."

"It kind of sounds like you are."

I watch as she runs her hands through her hair, and I sigh softly as the silence between us tickles my ears. "I'm sorry if it seemed like I was, and I'm sorry I was. My point is... you could have told me and I'd have believed you if you were honest with me. Sure, I'd have probably made fun of you or we'd have argued about it like I did with Micah, I'd have gotten over it and accepted it. You're my best friend, some things, not everything, but some things I feel like you can be honest with me about. This is one of them."

The green eyed girl gets up to her feet and approaches me, a pout stuck on her face and her shoulders down casted as though she's experiencing guilt.

As she should, because I'm right after all.

"Gert." She sighs, sitting besides me on the bed."I'm sorry. You're right—" I mean. "I should have been honest with you. I just never knew how you'd have reacted."

"You think I'd have reached badly?"

"Considering the way you did with Micah, but no that's not even the worst. Remember two years ago, when we went for an afternoon walk? And that stupid wild dog chased us? Remember the words you said? What you called it."