r: bienvenido a la familia

For potheadhippie 💐

Meeting your significant others family is always a nerve racking experience. You never know which member is going to like or dislike you. That was the only thought that was lingering in Jordan's head right now. He stares at himself in the mirror as he buttons up the last button on his shirt and smooths his slacks down with his pants. His girlfriend Sophia walks in their shared bedroom to grab her sneakers and stops at the door when she sees his outfit.

"Baby it's just a family party we'll be in the backyard. I don't want you to mess up your good clothes."

"I just want to make a good impression on your family."

"I know but my parents already love you."

"I know but now I'm meeting your siblings, cousins, abuelas, abuelos, tíos, tías, and-"

"Baby everything will be fine respira conmigo, respira."

Jordan takes a few breaths with Sophia allowing his body to relax. He takes another one and he feels completely calm now. Opening his eyes he looks down to see Sophia smiling at him.

"Better?"

"Much better."

"Alright then, cámbiate de ropa para que podamos irnos."

He nods his head picking out a simple long sleeve and pair of shorts since it was chilly out but not freezing cold. Jordan was very optimistic about tonight. Mr. and Mrs. Gonzalez adored him so what else could go wrong.

• • •

The couple pulls up to her family's residence that was on the other side of the bridge. Sophia notice that as they got closer and closer to her family home Jordan grew more nervous.

"Cariño, mírame."

Sophia has been teaching him a little Spanish just to prepare him for this moment and he's been doing good. His doey eyes look up and make eye contact with his girlfriend's giving her a small smile.

"Tonight is going to be fine. We're going to get drunk as fuck and eat all the food we want. Now run the rules to me."

Everyone has a set of rules when it comes to certain members of their family.

"Don't reject food that abuela and abuelita give me, just smile and say thank you. Avoid Tio Matthew we he has had too much to drink because he'll try to gamble you for money. Finally when Tias ask you to dance always say yes."

"¡Eso estuvo muy bien, cariño!"

She cups both of his cheeks and plants kisses on them. The excitement was fueling Jordan's confidence and he was feeling even better about tonight. Getting out of the car, he opens Sophia's door and helps her out of the car. Jordan looks up to see the flag of Mexico hanging proudly from his house. The young woman close her fist and beats in the door a few times waiting for someone to open it. Soon her young niece opens the door smiling at her auntie.

"Guys Auntie Sophia is here!"

All of her nieces, nephews, siblings, and cousins rush to the living room to give her a hug. Jordan was taken a back with how many of her family members were here.