2. "Sheep are creepy."

-x-

When I walked into school on Monday morning, it seemed like the whole world wanted to gossip about Gabby Coleman breaking up with her boyfriend Jason White, the school's star quarterback. As I walked into the cafeteria at lunch, there were literally a group of students handing out copies of the school newspaper. I took one copy and raised an eyebrow as I read the headlines- FINNIGAN HIGH'S HOT QUARTERBACK JASON WHITE WITH A BROKEN HEART? 

I was surprised that Gabby had broken up with Jason so quickly after we spoke at the mall yesterday, so I rushed to find her. She was sitting by herself on a lunch table to the corner of the room, picking at her food with a frown on her face. "Gabby," I gasped as I slid into the seat next to her. "You broke up with him last night? You never told me. Are you okay?"

She didn't reply but she nodded slowly. "I... I broke up with him last night," she slowly swallowed the food. "But I didn't know he'd be this devastated."

We both turned towards the center table where the soccer team usually sat, and my eyes fell on the good-looking, blonde haired Jason White, who looked extremely glum as he stared down at his lunch tray. Gabby buried her face into my arm. "God, I feel like such a horrible person! The fight we had last night was terrible- I basically accused him of cheating on me!"

"Whoah," I held up a hand in the air, confused. "Slow down and tell me what happened."

She took a steady breath in. "Well. So after I came back home from the mall yesterday, I decided to talk to Jason. I rang his number again and this time, a girl picks up his phone. She doesn't sound like Jason's sister or anything because his sister is like four, so I'm obviously very confused. I asked her to give the phone to my boyfriend, and then that girl calls out to him in this very flirtatious tone. I also heard Jason laughing in the background as he wrestled the phone out of her hand and stuff. Um, I was obviously extremely jealous like any girlfriend would be. That's how the fight started." She winced as she recalled the events, and she glanced back to the center table Jason was sitting at. "He's not even eating right now, Kit. I feel like shit."

"Aww, Gabs," I hugged Gabby gently. "Breathe. At least he regrets losing you. He didn't pay you too much attention when you guys were dating; hopefully, he'll realize his mistakes."

"I didn't think the breakup would be so hard on him," she mumbled. "I thought that was what he would have wanted. I thought I'd be the heartbroken one, but apparently not."

Gabby looked like she was about to cry. "Kit, I don't know what to do..." She took a deep breath in. "I think I'm going to cry."

A little panicked, I squeezed her hand to comfort her. She gave me a thankful smile, but she shook her head as a tear slipped down her cheek. "I'm going to the restroom, the last thing I want is the whole school to see me cry," she breathed, getting up and grabbing her bag. "Um, and Kit, I think it's better if you don't come. I know you love me and all, and it's nothing personal, but I think I kind of need to get these tears out in private."

I understood what she was saying but I was still unsure and upset as I watched her walk out of the cafeteria. Seeing Gabriela Coleman, my best friend since the fourth grade cry, made me feel like crap. But I knew better than following her so I just took a bite of my food, and it felt tasteless in my mouth.

My phone suddenly buzzed and I pulled it out to see that it was a direct message from... ConfessionsWithCupid on Instagram.

What? Confused, I narrowed my eyes suspiciously at the screen. This was weird.

I opened the direct message to see that it read:

confessionswithcupid:- Hello, person of the universe. I'm happy to inform you that you are my 900,000th follower! I was stuck on 899,999 followers for quite some time and do you know how frustrating it is? And then, tada, you followed and life is happy. So thank you, human.