28. "You didn't look like the nerd type."

"Kit, can you help me out here?"

I looked up from the screen of my laptop and at mom, who was standing on a kitchen chair, trying to reach the cupboards which were really high up. The sad part is that she's like, five feet tall. "Sure. What are you looking for?" I asked, shutting the flap of my laptop and getting to my feet.

"I'm trying to get out our best china," she answered, hopping off the chair like a little bunny. Seriously, she acts like a little bunny. "We have guests coming over for dinner tonight. You've been so caught up with studying for your finals that I didn't really tell you."

"Is dad coming home?" I climbed onto the chair, easily reaching the cupboards and carefully removing the fancy dishes and silverware. "Is his conference at Florida done?"

"Yes, he'll be home," she smiled. "After a long time. He gets so caught up with work sometimes, that we never see him."

"Yeah," I pulled out the last dish and carefully gave it to mom before dusting my hands off. I jumped off the chair. "Who are these guests and why do they deserve our best china?"

"Your dad's boss and family," mom gave me a look. "So I expect you to be dressed in something pretty and not in your sweatpants."

I groaned. "Mom, too much work. It's so unfair how Vegas just went off on his two month trip and I have to stay home forever."

"Get yourself accepted at a university and you won't have to," Mom smiled, pulling the kitchen chair away. "Which I'm not doubting, because you've been working real hard with all those applications and tests."

"Don't jinx anything," I warned her, and she just laughed. I walked back to the couch, pulling my laptop back on my lap. I began to continue typing up the assignment when suddenly, a notification popped up to the side of the screen. Stupid facebook.

'CAGE ALEXANDER LOREN JUST POSTED A PHOTO'

It was a rather gorgeous photo, and Cage looked like a greek god, but annoyance and jealousy seeped through me as I read the caption

Cage Alexander Loren:- Glad that Maya's mine again <3

I sucked my breath in, trying to calm myself down. What the actual hell. It's been three weeks since he told me he 'loved' me and basically three weeks since I last spoke to him. What an asshole.

My phone buzzed and I grabbed it to see a text.

Gabby:- I bet you saw the photo he just posted and I bet you hate him rn. Do you want me to go to his house and punch him in the face?

I laughed a little, though I felt like my insides were being torn apart.

Kit:- Nah, Gabs, I guess it's my fault. I did tell him that I don't give a shit about him.

Gabby:- awwww. don't sink the ship, guys. How does a movie night sound? Me, you, ice cream and netflix?

Kit:- ugh i wishhh but my dad's boss and family are coming over for dinner.