Woe Is The Loneliest Number 2.3

Sadly, it was time for them to socialize and choose an extracurricular activity.
First, the two went to the choir, lead by Bianca Barclay. When she tried to humiliate the two, Wednesday sang a note so high, that only dogs could hear. A guys glasses broke and they left the group impressed.

Next, they went to visit Xavier at his Archery-club. Wednesday decided to let Y/n handle this one, archery wasn't her best work, though, obviously, she was still better than average.
He shot an arrow at a target and it hit at the outer edge of it.

"Didn't you tell me that you were good at archery?", Y/n asked.
Xavier turned around surprised and smiled at her: "huh. You actually showed up. Ever shot a bow and arrow before?"
Y/n answered: "Only on live targets."
He made a surprised face but decided to let it slide: "okay."

He got another arrow and told her: "square stance. Load the arrow like this, yellow side out."
He held up his hand and showed how it was done: "three fingers. Pull back.", he did exactly what he said, "and...", he let go.
The arrow wasn't even near the bulls-eye, still at the edge.
"let it fly.", he finished his explanation.
He turned to Y/n again: "any questions, princess?"

She ignored the nickname and asked bluntly: "When's the last time you saw your roommate Rowan?"
He answered sarcastically: "oh, you mean the one that was killed by a monster?"
Y/n glared at him, as he took another shot.
He answered: "The Harvest Festival. I haven't talked to him since. But his side of the room was all packed this morning. Rowan's always been a little off, but, uh, the last couple weeks, he's been more errratic. You know, telekinesis can mess with your head, you know. He's... it started to freak me out."

He aimed at the target again, while asking as casual as he could: "so, what's the deal with you and Tyler? Why are you hanging out with him?"

When Y/n glared a little surprised, he turned to her and asked a little offended: "oh, I'm sorry, were you the only one who got to ask non-archery questions?"

"There is no deal. He was doing us a favor, driving us out of town. Even if, he mostly ignores me, I mostly igonre him. He admires Wednesday. It's annoying."

"yeah, word of advie. Steer clear."
"Why? Because he's a normie?", Y/n asked.
"'cause Tyler and his friends are a bunch of jerks.", he said and handed Y/n the bow. "They can't stand that this school's the only thing proppin up their Podunk town."

Y/n grabbed an arrow: "says the boy whose life was served to him on a silver platter."
"hey, you know, girls in glass houses-", he argued, but Y/n interrupted: "should throw bigger stones."
Xavier scoffed.

Y/n took an apple and told him: "at least I'm not an elitist snob."
Then she threw the apple in the air, waited a little for it to fall down and shot the arrow. She hit the apple and pinned it directly to the bulls-eye.
Xavier looked down and commented: "ouch."
Y/n hinted a smile towards him, then moved on, to the next club. She was well-aware that Principal Weems was watching them through binoculars from her office.

The third opening was for a beekeeper club. Y/n and Wednesday went closer to a hut in the school's garden, where the club was supposed to be. Bees were humming all over in the bushes.
Suddenly, a voice from behind asked: "are you guys interested in the ancient art of beekeeping?"
The twins turned around to find a small boy with raven hair and glasses, full in a suit for beekeeping.
"Eugene. Eugene Ottinger. Founder and President of the Nevermore Hummers.", said with a smile.
Both the girls introduced themselves.
"Are we late or is it only you?", Wednesday asked, while Y/n looked around a little.
"The hive life isn't for everyone.", he said. "most kids are afraid of venomous insects. Are you both willing to feel the sting?", he asked, leaning closer.

The girls started smiling, and soon, they walked out of the hut in the same armor as Eugene.
He started to explain: "Bees have been producing honey in the same way for 150 million years. They're nature's perfect community. All working together to achieve a common goal."

Y/n noticed Thing, standing on one of the shelfs, struggling because of the bees surrounding him. He gestured for her to follow him.

"fun fact, it's also one of the few ecosystems in which females dominate. From the queen bee to her workers. There's no patriarchy in the hive!", Eugene said excitedly.

Y/n quickly alarmed Wednesday through telekinesis, that Thing wanted to speak to them.

When Eugene turned around to the girls, they were already gone, leaving him confused.

°°°°

After what Thing told them, the girls had to hurry back to the school.

"Rowan! We need to talk!", Wednesday exclaimed, both of the girls were running towards him, as he loaded his stuff in the Principal's car.

He simply replied: "Wednesday and Y/n, I'm not allowed to speak to anyone. Especially not you two."
"you had a lot to say, the other night, when you tried to kill me, after you almost killed Y/n.", Wednesday argued.
He sighed.
"you told me we were destined to destroy the school, remember?", she asked.
Y/n asked: "where did you get that drawing?"
Rowan replied, acting as if he didn't know anything: "I just went into the woods to clear my head. Then you two came after me.", he finished, as Ms. Thornhill walked to the car.
"girls.", she warned: "you shouldn't be here."
"yeah.", Rowan agreed: "back off and leave me alone."

And with that they drove away. Y/n hinted Thing to follow them.
They went back inside.

Miss Thornhill let Rowan out at Burlington Station, from where he was supposed to take the train.
Thing followed him to the men's room, though from there on, there was no sign of him anymore.
Rowan had somehow disappeard.

What neither Thing, nor the twins knew was, that Principal Weems was a shapeshifter and had turned herself into Rowan to cover up his murder.

°°°°

1012 words

I kind of want to leave a bit of the plot out at some point so that maybe only Wednesday goes searching for clues and whatnot... I'm not sure how everything will turn out yet, I haven't planned everthing yet, so let's see where the story leads me.
Thanks for reading <3