You Reap What You Woe 5.8

Early in the morning, the police finally came back to interrogate the family. 
Much to the Sheriff's disappointment, he had to let them go, because of a dead man's finger. 

Because of being very sleep deprived and annoyed by her family, Y/n couldn't wait to get out of there. But first, they needed to go to the Mayor, to convince him to drop the charges. 

"thank you for seeing us at such short notice, Mayor.", Morticia said, a happy smile on her face. 

"yes, well, veiled threats have that effect.", the man said and glanced towards Y/n and her twin. 

Y/n just rolled her eyes. All that she wanted was a nice cup of coffee, a shower and for her family to stay out of drama. 

Luckily, Wednesday decided to step up and explain everything: "Garrett Gates wasn't killed by a stab wound."

She showed the mayor the blue finger, who gagged at the sight. 

"that blue sheen is a telltale sign of nightshade poisoning.", Morticia said. 

"but you already knew that, didn't you?", Wednesday asked. "because back when you were Sheriff, you were in charge of the case and covered it up."

The man inhaled sharply. "Ansel Gates hated outcasts and Nevermore. He claimed the land the school was built on was stolen from his family over 200 years ago. Garrett went there that night to spike the punch and kill all the kids at that dance. Ansel confessed the whole thing to me in a drunken stupor. It was his idea."

"Why did you instruct Dr. Anwar to falsify the autopsy report?", Wednesday investigated. "you knew the truth about how he really died."

The man's tone changed into a more serious one: "listen, I was just there to keep the peace. If there had been a trial, Jericho's and Nevermore's reputations would have been trashed."

Morticia smirked, crossing her arms in front of her chest: "I think the only reputation you were worried about ruining was your own. I remember Garrett bragging to me that his faher had the sheriff in his pocket. One year later, you get elected mayor. Hmm. No doubt with the full support of Ansel Gates."

"I resent your implication."

"what I resent is that you could have prevented Garrett's death if you had done your job when I lodged my complaint about him stalking me. But no. Men like you have no idea what it feels like not to be believed."

Y/n hated to admit it, but her mother was obviously right. And in doubt, people would always believe men over women. Men were pigs.

But at least, now they had something against the mayor, and if there was one thing that the Addams family was good at, it was blackmailing. 

"what do you want?", the Mayor asked. 

Morticia smirked at her girls proudly, before saying: "all charges dropped."

"our father will be released immediately.", Wednesday explained. 

"with a full and unequivocal apology from the sheriff's office.", Y/n smirked. 

"Do we have a deal?"

°°°°

Y/n released a relieved sigh when she finally got out of the building. Usually, she didn't enjoy warm weather, but today's sunshine made her feel better somehow. 

Morticia smiled down at her girls, satisfied with the outcome of today's blackmail. 

"you were very impressive in there.", Wednesday admitted to her mother. 

The woman nodded. 

For a while, they were all quiet, until Morticia changed the subject: "When did your visions begin? I assume not only Y/n has them?"

"they began a few months ago. Before we left for Nevermore.", Wednesday explained. 

"I'm sorry you two didn't feel you could tell me.", their mother apologized. "I know we've had our difficulties lately. Navigating the treacherous shoals of our mother-daughter relationships. But I'm always here for you, my two lovely girls. Always."

Y/n felt her heart warm at the words. It felt weird... but kind of nice as well. 

Wednesday leaned closer to her mother: "sometimes, when I touch someone or something, I get these very violent glimpses from the past or future. I don't know how to control it. And Y/n has been seeing ghosts."

"Our psychic ability resides on the spectrum of who we are. Given my disposition, my visions tend to be positive. That makes me a dove.", Morticia smiled. 

"I am the crow. But for someone like Wednesday?", Y/n added, lost in thought. 

"I see the world through a darker lens. What does that make me?", Wednesday asked. 

"you're a raven.", Morticia explained. "your visions are more potent, more powerful. And about Y/n, only a few of our ancestors were able to see ghosts. It has something to do with being able to feel and build passionate and emotional connections to people. That makes you see ghosts."

Y/n tried not to grimace. Passionate and emotional? Those were not words she would use to describe a sociopath with. 

Morticia continued: "But without the proper training, your powers can lead to madness. You two need to control your powers, let your instincts and feelings take control." She took in a deep breath: "If I could help you more, I would. But we're not trained by the living. Somebody from our bloodline reaches out from beyond to help us when we're ready."

The twins looked at one another. 

"Goody and Willow have.", Wednesday nodded. "we've seen them before."

"be careful, my girls.", Morticia warned. "they were witches of great strength, but their vengeance pushed them too far, and even togehter, they couldn't save themselves."

°°°°

A little while later, Lurch picked Gomez up from the police station and the Sheriff had to apologize to the man. 

But Gomez just smiled and replied: "I don't hold grudges, just blood debts."

The Sheriff stared confused, before letting it slide: "so... your daughter Wednesday and my son have become... close."

"I pitty any boys who get caught in my girls' venoumous gazes, but he must be a good egg. She wouldn't telerate anything less.", Gomez joked. 

"he has his mom to thank for that.", Sheriff Galpin replied, looking away at the sun. 

The men shook hands and walked away. 

°°°°

"Dad!", Pugsley exclaimed happily, running towards his father and hugging him. "I missed you so much, Dad. So much."

Y/n watched from afar, a hesitant smile on her lips. She hated her family. But she also had a sweet spot for them. Especially for her brother. He was different, more emotional. 

But before Y/n could escape, her mother pulled her and Wednesday into a family group hug. 

Y/n didn't like hugs at all. And this one felt different to the one's she had shared with Xavier, for example. Just thinking of that boy made her heart skip a beat. Why? She didn't even know. She was probably already losing herself...

°°°°

Inside his office, the Mayor was looking into the Gates family once more. He had gotten the file out of the archives and was now staring at a family picture. A happy mom and dad with their two children, son and daughter. What an unfortunate future the family had had...

°°°°

1153 words.

That's the new chapter, my favorite little readers!!! I'm so so so incredibly sorry that I didn't end up updating, I was incredibly busy and still am very stressed, but I have a little surprise for you: because I was so sorry, I thought, I would just update two chapters at once!!!

Also: Pugsley is a cutie isn't he???

And: Men Are Pigs, right???

Tpwk my loves ;)