Friend Or Woe 3.2

Before we continue: THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR 1k READS!!!! When I uploaded the first chapter, I didn't even believe that anyone would actually want to read this, but look how far we've made it within such few days! Thank you guys so much!!! 
TPWK<3

The next day, Y/n and Wednesday were hanging out with Enid in the Quad, everybody was chatting and waiting for the Principal.
She quickly arrived and told everyone: "all students will report for their volunteer jobs at 10am sharp, followed by community lunch at 1. As you know, this year, Outreach day culminates in a very special event. The dedication of a new memorial statue in the town square, which will also include performances by Nevermore students."

Enid giggled excitedly as Weems continued: "as representatives of our school, I trust you will all put your best face forward."

A few students cheered happily, since they didn't have any classes today.
Y/n just rolled her eyes and got in line to get her volunteer job assigned.
Wednesday followed her.

After everyone had their card, it was a lot louder.
"Yes! I got Pilgrim World!", Enid cheered, as she approached the girls. "I have natural people skills and a love of performing, so it's kind of the obvi choice. What did you guys get?"
Y/n answered drily: "I am going to go to the Weathervane."
Wednesday opened her card: "Uriah's Heap, whatever that is."
"ew.", Enid made a disgusted grimace. "It's this weird, creepy antique store. You'll love it though."
She tried to smile, then continued excitedly: "I'm crossing my claws Ajax and I will be outreaching together.", she said and looked towards the boy, who was already smiling at her.

Next to him was an annoyed Xavier: "oh my god, I got the Weathervane."
He turned to Ajax: "Dude, trade with me. C'mon, please."
Ajax just shook his head.

That's when Principal Weems approached the girls with her usual fake wide smile.
She turned towards Y/n. "Y/n, don't worry about your cello. I'll have it brought to the town square this afternoon."
Y/n looked at the teacher warily: "my cello?"
"I caught your rooftop serenade the other night. Impressive. I volunteered you to accompany the Jericho High School marching band at the ceremony."
Y/n panicked a little, obviously involuntairily and only very little. She never liked playing in front of people.

She felt somewhat vulnerable when she played music.

Though, obviously she wouldn't let that show.

"I'm sure it won't be too challenging to play an uplifting Fleetwood Mac melody.", Weems elaborated with a smile.
"As long as you promise to hang me as a witch afterwards.", Y/n sighed.
The Principal gave her a judgy look, but tried to hide it with a smile.
Then she walked away.

°°°°

The Nevermore school bus came to a halt in Jericho and everyone excitedly walked towards a chapel, where some sorts of bleachers had been momentarily arranged.
Y/n rolled her eyes. Why was everyone so excited?

Still, the twins decided to follow the stream. Afterall, they didn't really have much of a choice.

Suddenly though, Y/n snapped out of her normal daydreams of torture and murder, when she spotted Xavier, looking at a white wall.

"just go ahead, I'll be right back.", Y/n told Wednesday, before going off towards Xavier.
Obviously for research reasons.

"why are you staring at a blank wall?", Y/n approached him.
"It wasn't blank last Outreach Day.", Xavier answered, not looking at the girl out of pure spite.

"Are you still stewing because we rejected your invitation?", Y/n asked, turning towards him.

"I don't know, I really put myself out there for that, you know? Shouldn't you be feeling at least a little bit bad?", he asked irritated.

"I'm a self-diagnosed sociopath. I have little to no feelings except for annoyance and anger.", Y/n bluntly said.

He turned towards her, rolled his eyes and simply replied: "you need Taylor Swift."
"what is that?", Y/n asked.
"I can't believe you don't know her. You're so annoying.", he protested.
"why? Who is she?", Y/n asked cluelessly. "Does she go to this school?"
Xavier groaned: "forget it."

"look, I appreciate it but there really is no reason why I should join. I mean I don't want to end up like my mother and I already have enough books. Mojitos I can do myself, really.", she said and continued after a little pause: "besides, I have more important things to do."

"like what?"

"tracking down the monster that killed your former roommate.", Y/n informed him.

"Oh my god, for the last time, Rowan was expelled.", he said with a smirk. "everyone saw him leave."
"Have you spoken to him since?", Y/n asked, challenging him.

His smile disappeared and he replied: "I... I texted him a few times, but I never heard back. I just figured he wanted Nevermore in his rearview mirror."

Y/n relentlessly replied: "or he's dead."

Xavier began to grow annoyed: "I don't know why you care. It's not like you knew the guy."

Y/n suspiciously replied: "I'm not sure why you care so little."
She looked up at him: "people can dismiss me and make a million other excuses, but Wednesday and I are not going to stop."

Xavier rolled his eyes, while Y/n took out the book from her backpack. Wednesday had given it to her, since Y/n wanted to browse through it on the bus.
"Oh, great. I guess you can add 'thief' to your résumé."
She drily replied, not bothering to look up: "It was already on the list."

Xavier sighed. "I don't know what the big deal is about an old Nightshade's journal anyways."
Y/n turned the book around to show him the drawn picture.

"you didn't seem surprised when you took it out of Wednesday's pocket last night. You've seen this before, haven't you?"
He shrugged: "yeah. A couple days before the Harvest Festival. It was open on Rowan's desk, so I just assumed he stole it after we kicked him out of the Nightshades."
He paused a little, looking down at Y/n. "then I confronted him about it, and he kinda went ballistic on me."
Y/n remembered that Wednesday had seen Xavier and Rowan fight in a vision before.

"he threw you against the wall with his telekinesis.", Y/n recalled.
Xavier narrowed his eyes suspiciously: "yeah. How did you know that?"
"lucky guess.", she said, staring at him intimidatingly, so he would not ask any further.

Xavier moved on: "it's weird that you guys are in this. This journal is like, what, 30 years old?", he said and pushed a finger onto the page, so he could see it more clearly. "And what the hell is Crackstone doing in the picture with you?"

Y/n looked up in surprise: "you know who that is?"
"yeah, it's Joseph Crackstone. He's like, Jericho's founding father. Kind of a big deal around here."
He gestured towards a few posters of Pilgrim World: "look. That's him."

When Y/n had turned back towards him and started putting away the book, he suddenly blurted out: "can I ask you something?"
"I can't hold you back, can I?", she replied with a sigh.

"what happened at the Poe Cup...", he said, wearing a kind of nervous smile. "Did that mean anything or was it all part of the game?"
"everything's a game to me, Xav.", she looked up and winked at him, noticing once again that he was much taller than her.
"what the hell is that supposed to mean?", he awkwardly chuckled, running his hands through his hair.

Y/n didn't answer, just started walking away from him.
She had gotten all the information she had wanted, even more.

When she found Wednesday, she quickly informed her about the news, for example, that it was Joseph Crackstone in the picture. She left out the part, where she had talked to Xavier again. 

°°°°

1229 words

I kinda love to write when Y/n talks with Xavier because it's always funny when he tries something and Y/n just doesn't respond normally. Btw I added Taylor Swift because I love her and I can imagine that Xavier and Y/n could also be swifties, idk. 
In this chapter though I had to add that Y/n kind of also interrogates him so that the girls still have as many leads as in the series. 
Hope you liked it<3