Friend Or Woe 3.3

Sheriff Galpin was looking over all the students and people walking around, when the Mayor approached him.
"Sheriff.", the man said.
"yeah.", Galpin turned around.
"you remember my son, Lucas?", the Mayor asked and put a proud arm around his son, who was once again dressed as a pilgrim.
"I sure do. I ran into him and his buddies last week at the Weathervane.", the Sheriff said and Lucas kind of panicked, looking at his father. "I'd better get to work.", he quickly said and walked away.
"hey, no trouble today. Got it?", the Mayor asked him, before he was gone. Lucas replied with a nod and basically ran away from the situation.

The sheriff groaned.
"hey, don't look too excited.", the Mayor said sarcastically, as they began to walk. "Those outcast kids might think we're happy to have them."
"we still got something lurking in the woods, no doubt, connected to that school."
"c'mon, would you stop pointing fingers at Nevermore? You know how much Jericho depends on that place. Who do you think pays for our roads, our parks... even your salary?"

The sheriff replied: "I'm just doing my job, looking out for the well-being of our town, boss."
"Look, don't lecture me, Donovan. Before the good citizens of Jericho elected me mayor, I used to wear that badge, remember?"
"mm-hmm- You never struck me as much of a history buff back then.", the Sheriff replied, looking at the new statue.
"if it's good for business, then it's good for Jericho.", the mayor said.
"especially if your business is Pilgrim World.", Galpin said as they came to a stop in front of the bleachers, where the Nevermore kids were already seated.

"hey. Just find the damn bear and take care of it.", the mayor said loud and clear.
Galpin let out a huff and walked away.

That's when Weems got the attention of everybody: "all right, Everyone, take a seat. We have a special announcement.", she said excitedly. 
The Mayor took a deep breath, then turned to the adolescent crowd with a big smile: "welcome Nevermore Academy.  Now, on behalf of the entire Jericho community, we are so, so pleased to have you all here today. Your generosity and hard work are truly.... outreachous!", he made a pun and Y/n rolled her eyes, her sister just glared at the Mayor. 

Weems got up to the stage and continued: "okay, everyone. We'll see you back here at one o'clock for lunch. Enjoy!"

Everybody got up, ready to do their volunteered work. 
"I'm gonna try to go to Pilgrim World. We need to find out more about Joseph Crackstone.", Wednesday quickly told her sister, who nodded. 
"fine, see you later.", she said and saw Wednesday change work with Enid. 
Apparently because Ajax was also going to be at Uriah's Heap. 

°°°°

When Y/n arrived at the Weathervane, she was greeted by a familiar face:

"So you're at the Weathervane too?", Xavier asked with a smirk, leaning over the counter top, towards her. "are you stalking me, princess?"

"if I was stalking anyone, I wouldn't be so dumb to get caught.", she replied, not getting that it was some sort of flirtatious joke.

Xavier sighed. "Just go to Tyler and tell him you're here. I'm sure he's glad to see you.", he replied, his voice dripping from sarcasm, as he got back to making a cup of tea for an elder lady.

Y/n walked towards the back, where Tyler was sat at a table, looking over a few papers.
"so this is where you spend all your freetime?", she asked into the room.
He quickly shot up in panic, then exhaled, somewhat reliefed to see her. "my god, Y/n, you scared me."
"glad that it worked."
"where's Wednesday today?"
"at Pilgrim World. Why would you want to know?"
"just asking... okay, now that you're here, I can tell you guys what you can do.", he said and handed Y/n something with a smile: "Here's your apron with a few necessary things for today."

"good.", Y/n simply replied and tied the apron around her waist. "let's get this over with.", she sighed and walked out of the back room.
Tyler followed her and soon they were all three behind the counter.

Tyler gave them a quick tour, then explained what he had had in mind for the day: "okay, I'm gonna be at the counter, why don't you two go and take the orders from the tables. Let's say, the tables at the left side are for Y/n and the ones on the right for Xavier.", Tyler suggested.
"is there something specific we need to remember?", Y/n asked, sounding as dull as always.
"just write down the orders on the block in your apron pocket and give me the paper with the acording table number. When they're done, I'll call you and you can bring the coffee to their table.", Tyler smiled down at her, slightly awkward.

"sounds like a great plan.", Xavier said sarcastically, putting an arm around Y/n's waist protectively.

"Do we at least get free coffee ourselves?", Y/n asked.
"uh... for you, sure.", he replied with a hesitating smile. "a quad on ice, right?"
"that would be nice, thanks.", she replied and tied her hair up, getting ready to work and totally humiliate herself with it.
She didn't like talking to a lot of people and she sucked at acting nice.
Why should she?
She didn't even know the people.

Meanwhile, Xavier clenched his jaw in anger. He couldn't help but admit that he was jealous over Tyler because he knew how she liked her coffee and he himself didn't.
One more reason to hate Tyler, he tought.

Y/n was served her coffee, which she downed quickly. Then, everybody got to work, a cloud of unspoken words hanging over them, making everybody uncomfortable.
Y/n noticed how Xavier was always angry around Tyler.
Tyler, on the other hand, was always friendler towards Y/n, though it was obvious he was still a little scared of her, or at least he didn't quite know how to read her. Towards Xavier, he always acted a little... ignorant? hesitating? She couldn't quite say. 

Anyhow, the atmosphere was not the best but still, the three managed somehow, the boys ignoring each other, Y/n ignoring everybody.

°°°°