Woe What A Night 4.6

At the Beeclub, Y/n was done setting up the collage of 'Ted Bundy's Pinterest'- as Enid liked to call it. 
"It's a shame that Enid wouldn't let me keep this in our dorm. I loved looking at it before going to sleep, it made my dreams more vivid.", Y/n said, looking at the board again. 

"No worries.", Eugene said, putting his hands in his pockets. "Mi colmena es vuestra colmena."

He smiled at Y/n, then walked closer to one of Xavier's drawings, with a spiral and the monster: "I assume this is the creature that's been rampaging in the woods."

Y/n turned towards the boy: "you've heard about it before?"

"Rumors. Mr. Fitts banned me from bug-hunting until further notice. Claimed a bear was on the loose, which I knew was a lie.", Eugene answered. "Didn't match their hibernation schedules."

He grabbed a jar of his own honey and moved on to the next topic: "speaking of moonsters with sharp claws, could you give this to your roomie? Put in a good word for me?", he asked. 
He smiled a little. "I hear she's still sans date for the Rave'N."

Y/n sighed: "Eugene."

"I know the chances of her asking me are next to zero, but I don't care.", he said. "I'll keep putting myself out there until Enid finally... sees me."

"But what if she never does?", Y/n asked. 

"she will.", Eugene said, pretty confident. "I'm playing the long game. My moms say people will appreciate me when I'm older. I know they're probably just trying to make me feel better, but-"

Y/n interrupted him: "listen, people like you and me, we're different. We're original thinkers, intrepid outliers in this vast cesspole of adolescence. We don't need these inane rites of passage to validate who we are."

"so... you're not going to the Rave'N either?", Eugene asked. 
"...actually, I am.", Y/n answered, looking at the board again. "with Xavier."
"I see...", Eugene commented upset. 
"It's not like I like Xavier... I just have ulterior motives.", she quickly replied. "sketches are the closest thing we have to a lead right now to try and stop this thing."

Eugene looked at the drawing again: "That circle... I think I know where that is."
"show me.", Y/n said, feeling the excitement of a new lead rushing through her body. 

That's when Wednesday entered the hut, and the two had to quickly catch her up to the new level of informations that they had, before going to the woods. 

°°°°

The three stood in front of a cave in the middle of the woods. It looked exactly like the drawing.

"it's definitely a match.", Wednesday said. "What were you doing out here?"
"collecting specimens.", Eugene answered. "this place is ground zero for horny gypsy moths. You guys think it's in there?"

"only one way to find out."; Wednesday replied and the three moved closer towards the entrance. 

"I'm not a huge fan of enclosed spaces.", Eugene said, staring into the dark cave. "I'm claustrophobic."

"If you hear me scream bloodly murder, there's a good chance I'm just enjoying myself.", Y/n answered and climbed straight downstairs. 

The others followed. 

"This is definitely its lair.", Y/n said, lighting their way with a flashlight. 
"are those human bones?", Eugene asked a little scared. 

On the ground of the cave were in fact a lot of bones. 

Y/n didn't hesitate to pick up a few. "No, I think it's got a taste for venison."

She let the bones fall to the ground and looked at the wall, where two cuffs and chains were drilled into the stone. 

"check this out.", Eugene said, getting Wednesday's attention. 

The pig-tailed girl bend down and exclaimed: "yahtzee." at her glorious found. 
"what is that?", Eugene asked.
"concrete proof.", she replied. "it's the monster's DNA." 
She picked up a claw that obviously belonged to the monster, and put it in her backpack. 

°°°°

A little while later, Wednesday was opening the door to Xavier's hut. 
Since Y/n and Eugene were busy or didn't want to come along, she was alone, except for -of course- Thing. 

"alright.", she told Thing, who was crawling on the floor: "I won't be long. I just need to find something to match against the claw's DNA."

With that, she went inside Xavier's hut and looked around a little, before bending down to the trash can. 
With a pair of tweezers, Wednesday grabbed a bloody cloth out of the can and put it in another bag, just so she wouldn't get her own DNA mixed up. 
 Suddenly the door swung open and revealed Xavier. 

Wednesay quickly adjusted her backpack and turned towards the door, ready for a meet and greet with the monster, or so she believed. 

Xavier only noticed the girl after he had closed the door behind him. 

He walked up to her, already getting annoyed: "What the hell are you doing?"

She ignored his question: "How do you know what the monster looks like?" 
She took another look at all the drawings of the creature. "Or are these all just self-portraits?"

Xavier scoffed: "oh what, you think it's me? I saved your sister's life multiple times."
"even monsters have feelings. Or was that you the night Rowan was killed?", she smiled, enjoying the little interrogation. 
"you are so out of line right now.", Xavier argued annoyed.
"I'm just trying to uncover the truth.", Wednesday responded. "and your art seems to have a recurring motif."

"yeah.", Xavier sighed: "This creature's been haunting my dreams for weeks. I try to block it out, but I can't. So I just... come in here and paint it."

He pointed towards a near canvas: "when I was painting this one, the claws reached out and took a swipe at me. That's how I got the scratches on my neck.", the boy explained. 

"I thought you were able to control your ability.", Wednesday simply replied.

Xavier shook his head, his face turning into a somewhat more scared and worried one: "Not when it comes to this thing."

"maybe it's your guilty conscience.", Wednesday teased still believing that he was the monster. 

"Why can't you believe your sister? I'm not the monster, okay?!", Xavier argued.

Wednesday reached into her backpack and took out the painting of the monster's cave. She showed it to him proudly. 

"so you just happen to draw pictures of it, down to the location of its lair in the woods?", she smiled ever so slightly. "those are some pretty vivid dreams..."

Xavier looked to the side once, then back at the girl: "you were in here before? Do you even know the word privacy? I'm not the monster,  just leave me alone and let the cops do their job. I've never treated you badly so why can't you believe your sister when she tells you that I am not the monster?", he scoffed again. "you are unbelievable!"
"it's nothing personal.", Wednesday said curtly. 

She decided it was best if Y/n still went to the dance with him, so she decided not to tell him that her sister also knew about the drawings of the monster. 

"Do you even care about anyone or anything at all, Wednesday?!", he argued looking down at her annoyed. 
She wasn't going to admit that that comment had stung. Of course she cared about a few people, especially her sister. And it stung to know that she investigated against a person that Y/n might care about or at least find innocent. 

But Wednesday knew that there was a price to pay, if she wanted to uncover the truth. 

"get out!", Xavier yelled and pointed at the door. 

And so she did, leaving Xavier in his hut, as he looked at one of the paintings, deep in thought. 

°°°° 

1266 words. 

Dear readers, I have officially come back from the dead... lol. 
I am soooo sorry, I was going to upload in Paris but then I didn't finish this chapter soon enough and when I got back home I was simply exhausted and soon after I got sick. 
But I am better now and I hope to update more often, especially since the holidays are coming up. 
Spoiler alert: I will probably still break my promises on posting more often because my time management is simply the worst ;) 

Anyways, thanks for reading, if you liked it, feel free to leave a vote or if you have any thoughts, I love reading your comments, even If I forget to reply often. 

Don't forget to drink and eat enough, and treat yourself and other people with kindness <3