Chapter 19

I walked through the halls feeling uneasy. The feeling of ceremonial robes on my skin never got easier. The pit in my stomach grew as I neared closer because I was uneasy. Only one submersion in the Temples fountain had ended well in my experience. Only once did I even wake in peace as I came to after feeling the effects of the fountain.

It had mostly been overwhelming anytime I had been taken under and I was no less scared now. I was worried what would happen to me while I was under and what this massive spout of energy would be like. I let out a shaky breath and Yami passed me to open the chamber doors.

It was as if Rin had been locked away and I imagine not just anyone could open these doors. I'm sure they kept all Meishu chambers locked up but the whole spiritual chamber itself was guarded. I had watched Yami tracing his fingers over the stone door and I tracked his fingers as they moved from divot to divot. I wondered if it was just a pattern or if there was a difference in his powers to unlock it.

I tried to not stare as I stood there and waited for him to open it. I saw it get pushed open and the room was nearly empty. I did however make eye contact with Rin who was sat on his throne. Yami held the door open for me and I walked in slowly.

"Good morning dear, how'd you sleep?" He asked me in a cool tone.

"I should ask you the same thing." I said knowing he had been asleep for almost all of my stay here thus far.

"I feel recharged, youthful." He said with a smile and a shrug.

I hated to admit it but he did look a bit younger and livelier. His dark under circles, wrinkles, and slow movement were now gone. He still looked to be in his late 30's but he appeared to be refreshed and less tired looking.

"Any guilt?" I asked him knowing his youth was a stolen fruit.

"None at all." He said with a smile. "I take it you know why you're here?"

"Yes." I said flatly.

"Does that mean you'll agree to help me?" He asked with an eyebrow raised. "To start preparing to close this mess?"

"I'll consider it." I said after a short pause.

"Very well." He said sitting back in his chair. "Yami help her into the fountain."

I looked to Yami and he held up a hand and gestured for me to follow. I walked forward and his silence was deafening. Last I remembered when Rin had last spoke to him was when I was around Yami was in trouble. I didn't think to ask what had come of that, but now was not the time.

As I neared the fountain I felt my own chest get heavy. I stepped up the tall steps leading up to the fountain. I saw Yami at my side and he reached down and grabbed my hand. I wanted to flinch away but I only eyed him with a great hesitation.

"It's okay. You won't get hurt." He said in a whisper.

"Just absorb a small portion of the energy and I'll have Yami pull you out." Rin said and I looked to Yami. "Too much at once could send your body into a shock."

I never paid attention to Yami's clothes but he too was in his ceremonial robes. I didn't expect him to be getting in with me but I guess if I was absorbing power and might be unconscious or partially paralyzed I might not be able to get myself out of the fountain. I told them no one could touch me, but Yami would be the only person here I could technically trust... even then trust isn't a word I'd like to use.

"No tricks?" I asked in a cold tone.

"Ask my jester. He vowed himself to you." He said throwing up his hand towards Yami.