Chapter 37

Dinner was absolutely bountiful. I was stuffed full of delicious meats and fruits by the time dinner was over. I hardly had room for dessert by the time it came around. I once again was fooled by the drinks they had made with their homemade liquors.

It tasted like a sweet yet tart juice and hardly of any alcohol. It apparently was only served once at the beginning of each season and I could see why. Though I could feel its dizzying effects I could see several others hardly able to stand. Mostly comprised of the students local to here, they seemed to indulge on this stuff like it was water. I definitely learned my lesson and paced myself because I didn't want to be a mess like last time. Though it definitely caught up with me quicker than I expected.

After dinner everyone started to get up and socialize. It reminded me back to the dinner we'd have once a week back at Ebisu, but I guess food was easier to come by over there. I saw Ollie and Akira wander off to a corner of the dining hall after a while and I had hoped she was telling him but I didn't stare to find out. Lord knows it was hard enough for her to talk about it much less having me stare her down couldn't have helped.

I tried to focus elsewhere, but this place was quite crowded. It was a massive room but we had brought over 100 people and that's only adding to the 200 they had. I looked for a familiar face but struggled to find one. Jun had gone to talk to Auriel and Riku because Jun as always had his favorite class and had a thing for its Masters. Siena and Chunami were talking and Chunami as always looked rather uncomfortable.

Her and Siena got along well but she always had a look of discomfort recently and I couldn't even blame her. I found Goro sitting down on a nearby bench he was looking in his cup with very inquisitive eyes as if there was something in it. As I sat down he looked to me and he softly smiled.

"Having a good time?" I asked him feeling a little woozy.

"This drink doesn't taste good." He said with a bitter face.

"It has alcohol in it." I said because he likely didn't notice.

"I don't like alcohol. Do you want to drink it?" He asked holding the cup out to me.

"Sure." I said humoring him. I took the glass and sipped the last bit in my cup before setting it down on the table behind us. "I take it crowds aren't your thing?"

"What gave it away?" He said with a chuckle.

"You're in a room full of people and you've got you head down in a drink." I said smiling over at him.

"People don't like me." He said and his smile faded.

"People like you. Why do you say that?" I asked him.

"I'm different. Quiet." He said looking directly at me and we made eye contact which is something we rarely did.

"Different is good." I said looking back at him. "I wouldn't be anything special if I was the same as everyone else."

"People like you because you're strong." He pointed out.

"Powers are easy to see, you're smart. You can't see smarts." I said shaking my head and taking a sip of the drink he had given me. "It just takes longer for people to understand you."

"I guess that makes sense." He said and I could see he wasn't satisfied with that answer.

"People are missing out." I said looking at him. "You're a good friend Goro. When I was at Yabune people were very wary of me. I didn't have any friends except Jun. It just takes time, plus this is a whole new place."

"Yeah. Yeah I know. Sorry I'm probably keeping you from the others." He said shaking his head.

"I think everyone is a little too drunk, I've been in my own head all night." I said admittedly.