Chapter 31

We walked down the mountain before going to the ships so we could visits his moms grave. He briefly talked to me about making a point to go and see her more, especially when he was in town. Since we had both risen quite early we had some extra time on our hands to go.

Jun clipped a small branch from the tree as he had the last time. I didn't notice him taking it last time, only placing it. I wasn't sure why he did this but his mother was a subject I tried to not dance too much around. He loved her and had felt a lot of guilt around her. He used to never visit but here he was practically speed walking through town with a smile on his face.

Seeing him this way now would have cracked me up if I had seen him like this a year ago. He used to be very cold and monotone. Not necessarily mean just very unapproachable and grumpy if anything. He used to give me a hard time but he had warmed up eventually. That should have been my first hint that he might have liked me, but I was paying attention to everything but that.

He pulled me by my hand and my nose wanted to stop at every open restaurant in town. Each one I could smell salty foods that were strong with umami. A bowl of ramen even at this early hour sounded delightful. He really had to drag me along when we passed the towns bakery. I could tell they had just made some sort of a pastry because it was overwhelming and a line was already forming.

I knew we didn't have much time but exploring the city was something I'd love to do with Jun. It didn't matter what city but something so simple sounded so much fun with him. Traveling had stressed me out growing up and even now but something about Jun made me excited to do it. I doubt we'd ever have the time to do something like that but part of me hoped that maybe one day we could.

We made it to the cobble street and I was suddenly reminded of the time I had wandered here seemingly in a sleepy drunken haze. I still didn't understand what had happened that night but so much had been going on, once I was to safety it didn't matter.

"Her birthday is today. The day before mine." Jun said and I looked up at him. "She would have been 45 today."

"Good thing you could come today." I said softly.

"Things work out I guess." He said. "They rarely do."

His hand dropped from mine and he walked ahead throwing one leg over the small fence and the other followed. I didn't jump in the same way he did but I stood at the small fence and watched as he knelt down. He brushed off the grave stone and I could see the writing clear from even back here. I slowly swung over each leg and sat on the fence wanting to let him have a moment. Not to mention swinging my stuff leg over the fence took a second because it was so stiff.

I hadn't lost very many people, not that I could remember. The only family member I knew that passed was my grandmother and I was too young to even remember. They had said it was my fault and I was the one who killed so I guess it was best I didn't remember her. I wanted to feel guilty, but anyone at that age couldn't be responsible for harnessing powers like that.

That being said I had no idea what loss felt like. I had seen people die and of course I was sad but at the end of the day it's not like I had lost anyone close to me. I almost hated thinking about something like that because knowing what we were about to walk into it seemed inevitable.

I watched as he just bent down and sat there for a while. He twirled the branch in his finger a few time and I thought I heard his voice, but I didn't focus in on it. It wasn't my conversation to listen in on. I watched as the few people walking around walked passed hardly giving us a passing glance. It wasn't a busy road, mostly residential, but the next street over was where things got busy.

I saw him get to his feet and walk towards me. I watched him with careful eyes worried if he was going to be upset but he still wore his same smile. He sat down next to me and he looked back at the gravestone.