Vol 5 Ch 10: To Win And Survive

Hirano pov:-

I sat on a nearby bench. I was done with my shopping so I just decided to wait for the others to be finish.

"Hey. You don't feel like shopping more either?" The boy next to me spoke.

"Why are standing? Take a seat Atsushi-kun."

"Hehe. You sound annoyed. Do you really hate shopping?" He said as he sat next to me.

"I find it a chore. Besides, you are sitting here with me. Aren't you? And unlike me, you didn't even buy anything. "

"Well that's because I already did my shopping a few days ago."

Suddenly Atsushi became silent and looked around to see if anyone was listening to us. Then he turned back around to me.

"Hey. Why did you let Nagumo get Ichinose?"

I froze when he asked me that question.

"I-I what?"

"Don't play dumb. Nagumo has told me that I will be your vice secretary from now on and Ichinose will be his secretary. Not to mention this was after you received a massive amount of points from Nagumo. You do understand where I am going with this right?"

I was silent as he spoke. And then I let out a sigh.

"Yes. You are right. He and I made a deal."

As I said that, I received a slap on my face.

"YOU SACRIFICED A FRIEND FOR MONEY!?" He yelled at me. Thankfully not many people were present around us.

Atsushi lowered his voice and spoke again.
"Why the hell would you even think about doing that!?"

I lightly touched my cheek as I waited for the pain to stop and sighed again as I spoke.

"I wouldn't have been able to stop Nagumo senpai from getting to Ichinose anyway. Knowing him, he would have eliminated me."

"But you have a protectio-"

"Not even my protection point would have been able to save me from getting expelled multiple times. Since Nagumo senpai was going to have his way anyway, I decided to not only remove myself from being an obstacles between him and Ichinose. But I also gained a massive number of points. As far as I can see it, I made a good deal since it was concerning my future at this school."

Atsushi looked over at me with calm eyes. He who is always in contact with our senpais knows how dangerous Nagumo is. To be able to escape from Nagumo's radar is indeed a good deal. However-

"Aren't you worried if he does something to Ichinose?"

When he said that, my mind went blank.
"I-I haven't thought that far..."

I saw his face. Atsushi was looking at me with disappointment in his eyes.

"Listen. From one friend to another, let me tell you this. You didn't use to be this selfish when we first met. I can understand people changing after coming to a school like this and everyone wants to protect themselves. But you are changing a bit too much. Perhaps you should reflect on yourself a bit. Specially if your going to be in a relationship. "

Relationship? What's he talking about?

Without saying anything else, Atsushi got up from the bench and left.

Reflect on myself?
Did I do something wrong?
I was just trying to survive!
I was just trying to win!
I was just... just...
...

When did I start obsessing so much with winning?