𝟏𝟎𝟖

"𝚃𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝙲𝚊𝚛𝚎"
ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ
𝘭𝘰𝘤𝘬𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘵, 𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘺𝘰𝘳𝘬

     DEREK looks up from his phone, staring at the texts he sent to Emily. She always responds, but he has not heard anything from her in a minute. The truck comes around a curve and Derek notices a body on the side of the road, quickly realizing that it is Emily.

"That's one of us!" Derek exclaims. "Pull over!"

The truck pulls over and Derek jumps out the second he can. He calls out to Emily and runs up to her, scanning her body for injuries.

"What the hell happened?" He asks in a panic. "You alright?"

Emily turns around to see the police car at the bottom of the steep ditch. "Bunting's down there. He's dead."

Derek turns to see the dead police officer in the driver's seat. He furrows his brows at the crash and realizes that the suspect isn't in the backseat.

"Where's Schrader?"

"He's gone," Emily groans as she holds her head in her hands. "It was a—a big...truck, New York tags. Uh, Victor alpha 737. They went northbound about ten minutes ago."

"Son of a bitch got away," Derek mutters, angry that his friend was hurt in the process.

"He's got a partner," Emily tells him.

"We gotta get you to the hospital," Derek says, grabbing Emily's arm and slowly helping her up.

𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘶

Noah walks up to Emily's desk and sees her laptop. She takes it and sits on the floor, typing in the password that she memorized from looking over her mother's shoulder. She opens her school account and drafts an email.

"Long time, no see," Liam says as he plops down on the floor next to Noah.

"Pretty boy's back," Noah sings with a large smile. "How are you?"

"Good—could be worse," Liam shrugs.

"Yeah, you could've been in a house with a serial killer," Noah sarcastically replies.

"How're you holding up?" Liam asks.

"It's been better," Noah says. "I think I've just been distracting myself."

"What're you distracting yourself with now?" The boy asks as he looks at the laptop screen.

"I'm applying to be in the Science National Honor Society at school," Noah tells him. "I had a spot, but I didn't go to school for a few weeks after the Haley thing, so I missed the meeting."

"I'm sorry," Liam says. "You think they'll still let you in?"

"I don't know," Noah shrugs. "That's why I'm asking my teacher instead of the club itself."

"I'm sure it'll work out," Liam beams.

"Will you read over it for me?"

"Sure," Liam says as he takes the computer and reads the email aloud. "Good afternoon, Mr. Holden. I apologize for missing the first Science National Honor Society meeting as I know you were looking forward to my joining. I appreciate the offer and how you helped me receive a spot. I would like it if I could still join and be a part of the SNHS. I apologize about missing class as well but I have been doing the makeup work and studying hard for finals. Sincerely, Noah Prentiss."

"Sounds good," Liam says as he hands her the laptop.

"Good?" Noah asks. "You think I could sound nicer or more appreciative? He really stuck his neck out for me and I don't know if they gave my spot to someone else or—"