𝟢𝟤

SERENITY PAYTON

"Donte what did he say to you?" I asked, turning around to fully face him, feeling myself getting angry.

Donte shook his head and crossed his arms. "He keeps telling me to remember my place when it comes to you, when I didn't do anything. And the way he says it, it's like he's threatening me."

I rolled my eyes and ran my hands through my hair, trying to mentally tell myself to relax before I lost every ounce of home training that I was born with.

"I told him I didn't want him to start this shit today..." I said, slamming my hand down on the table.

"Rini, it's fine, okay?" he said, moving closer to me and placing his hand on my arm. "At the end of the day, he's gonna do what he wanna do..."

I shook my head. "No! It's not okay, Donte! I can't keep doing this...I don't want Landon to grow up seeing this or hearing this! I didn't want this for myself and I'm sick of this shit!"

"Rini...breathe," Donte told me. "I kind of understands how he feels, okay? I was in his shoes once too."

"And look where that landed us!" I shouted, stamping my foot.

Donte paused and just looked at me for a few moments like he was trying to understand what I had just said. He usually did this when he was attempting to figure me out; and like normal, I had suddenly become nervous underneath his gaze.

"Is this about you and him? Or me and you?" he asked.

I froze, realizing what he meant. "I...I don't know."

"Rini, is there something that you need to or want to tell me?" Donte asked, a small smirk growing on his face.

Yes. Yes there is...

Grinning, I shook my head and sighed. "N-No...I just...I'm gonna talk to him, okay?"

"It's not that serious, Rini..." Donte chuckled. "It really isn't because I'm not...I'm not threatened by him."

"Well I don't like how he treats you!" I said, crossing my arms.

Donte sighed and grinned. "Same old stubborn Serenity..."

Annoyed, I glared at him and crossed my arms while he just grinned at me. We did this for a few more moments before a smile crept onto my face and the both of us doubled over with laughter.

"Seriously, though," I said, pushing my hair behind my ear. "I'm gonna talk to him. Because...I genuinely don't like how he treats you. I don't think it's fair."

Donte shrugged. "Maybe it's my karma."

"You deserve nothing but good karma, Donte DiVincenzo," I told him, taking a step towards him and placing my hand on his chest. "You have a good heart."

My hand lingered on his chest as I felt his heartbeat speed up and smiled softly to myself. Donte looked down at me with a faint smile as our eyes met.

Just us standing here like this reminded me of the days when Donte and I's relationship was easier, less complicated and free. I missed those days and wished on every single star in the sky to get those days back.