09

SERENITY PAYTON

<>

"Lemme talk to Rini in private, y'all..." Gary said, motioning for everyone to leave out the room.

The little cousin in me thought that for a second, I was gonna get scolded for not telling Gary that Jaren and I had been that serious to where he felt comfortable enough to even go as far as proposing to me, but then again, he didn't look upset...

He looked concerned.

Everyone gave me concerned glances as they walked out of the room. Jordan was the last person to walk out and he mouthed "good luck" before shutting the door behind him.

Once he was sure that they was gone, Gary looked over at me and leaned against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest. He was giving me a look that really let me know that he was trying to figure out what was going on with me before actually asking me what was wrong.

"What's going on, Rin? You haven't been yourself lately, and every time I try to ask you, you brush it of, say your fine and change the subject—."

"I am fine—." I began.

"Stop lying," Gary said firmly. "I've let you sit here and lie to me enough. I know something is wrong with you. You don't have to tell me everything, but at least let me know something...so I can try and help you.."

I paused. Just standing there, trying my hardest to keep up this act like I was perfectly fine and that he had nothing to worry about, but once Gary hit me with those concerned-big cousin eyes; I cracked, and the tears started flowing.

"I'm so tired..." was all I could get out before I completely broke down.

Immediately, Gary's expression softened and he quickly walked over to me, pulling me into a hug that I accepted wholeheartedly.

"Tired of what," he asked. "What's going on?"

I sniffed. "Everything! Ever since you left, it's like I can't...I can't do anything right. Nothing goes right for me anymore and I don't want to...to tell people what's going on with me because I know everyone else has there own problem and I don't wanna burden anyone so...so I just keep it all inside and I can't take it anymore!"

"Rin, you can't keep all that bottle up inside of you...it only makes things worse and that's good for you mentally and physically. If your mental is off, then you're entire body is going to be off because you're not gonna take care of yourself properly." Gary explained.

"I don't know why you feel the need to hide these types of things from me, Serenity. Nothing about you is or will ever be a burden on me. Im always going to be here for you through anything. I really need you to understand that."

I shook my head, and wiped my eyes. "You're not always available, though. You have games, practices, time you take for yourself and I don't—."

"Serenity, stop." He said. "No matter what the hell I am doing, if you call me, whether something is or isn't wrong, I'm dropping any and everything to make sure that you're okay or to talk to you. End of story."

That's the issue.

I didn't always want to call. Because I don't want to talk on the phone. These were the kinds of talks that I needed; those face to face conversations. They were real to me and it was easier because I could truly appreciate the fact that he was here.

Things are so different over the phone, and talks with Gary were so much easier and raw when I was around him.  He just has this energy to him that makes everyone so comfortable and calm around him.