07

SERENITY PAYTON

Its only the next day, and things are completely thrown off between Donte and I.

Things are thrown off because I don't really want to be around him, and he keeps kind of watching me with this guilty, but concerned glance.

All I know is, I cannot wait to get off of this god forsaken yacht. I just wanted to go home, be with my son and focus on myself and Landon's wellbeing.

"You good?" Les asked, walking up to me.

I glanced over at Les and laughed a little seeing how he looked like he was half sleep and fighting a mean hangover. "Yeah, I'm fine." I lied.

Les shook his head. "No you're not. You know it's okay to not be okay, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah...well, let's just say, I'll be fine."

Les sighed and shook his head as if he was wondering if he should say something or not. I could tell that he was conflicted because he didn't want to upset me any further than I already was.

"I hope you know he didn't mean it..." Les suddenly blurted out.

"What makes you think that?" I said after a moment of silence.

"I don't think, I know," He said, leaning against the railing. "I was talking to him last night. I know why he said what he said."

Quickly, I looked up at him with eager, wide eyes and pushed my hair from out of my eyes. "W-Why did he say—."

Les shook his head. "I can't tell you that, Rin. I really can't, because it's not my place to tell you. Just know that, when you do find out—and it will be soon—don't hate him okay?"

"Did he do something that would make me hate him?" I asked.

Les shrugged. "Not in my opinion, but we know you. You're...unpredictable."

Unpredictable? Since when?

I decided to not further press the matter, and decided to just continue packing my bags and made sure that I had everything so that I could leave.

I didn't feel like saying goodbye to anyone because I knew that I would either see or hear from them before the day even ended, or I would end up seeing them again sometime during the week.

We had made it back to the docks at about 8:15 this morning, yet nobody else but me was awake. It was now 8:55 in the morning and I was ready to leave.

Literally.

Just as I was walking off of the ramp, I heard footsteps behind me and then they stopped as if someone stopped to watch me. So, I turned around and my eyes locked with Donte's brown eyes, and suddenly, I couldn't look away.

Mainly because I didn't want to look away. I wanted to run up to him and beg him to tell me what is was that caused him to act how he did towards me last night and what I could do to change his mind.

A part of me wondered if I had been the problem. Had I done something wrong? Had I confused him? Did I do something wrong to upset him?

I didn't think that I did, but, I don't know, maybe I did and I didn't know it. That had to be the only logical explanation...

I had opened my mouth to say something when Donte broke our eye contact and walked back towards the room, disappearing around the corner.