05

SERENITY PAYTON

"I love you..."

Donte's words went straight through my ears and right into my heart. I ain't ever feel my heart rate pick up so fast until this moment.

Should I even be doing this? Is this even right?

Is this even real? Am I imagining things?

I needed to say something. And quick, because Donte was looking at me like he was waiting for a smile, a hug, a response—ANYTHING but me being silent.

I love Donte. Everyone knew this. But did he know this? I don't know.

To him, I had always been able to move on and just...well...move forward. But sometimes, I didn't even want to. It was just my way of coping.

But in his eyes, it might have looked like I was completely okay with leaving him behind without a care in the world, when in actuality, it would eat me up inside every single day.

So, my biggest issue was this: Do I be honest and tell him the truth—that I do, in fact, love him? Or, do I respect the relationship between Jaren and I (even though he is in Memphis not respecting our relationship).

I didn't want it to seem like or look like I was just trying to use him as a distraction from Jaren and the things I had just found out...so I was just conflicted right now.

But, I knew what to do..

"I love you, too..." I admitted.

A wide smile spread across Donte's face and his hands moved to the small of my back as the water surrounded us.

It was oddly quiet. Like the whole world went silent just for us.

That or everyone was trying to be nosey and listen to what was going on with us since we hadn't come back onto the boat yet.

"You do?" He asked in a hopeful manner.

I grinned, nodding my head. "I do. I really do. And I'm sorry that while you and I had our ups and downs that I never made it seem that way, like I was always walking away or pushing you away. You didn't deserve that."

Donte smiled and shook his head, tucking his finger underneath my chin, tilting my chin up. "Rini, I already forgave you for it. I put you through shit, too. We're both at fault."

"I just hope that...when the time is right for us that we...that we actually get it right." I said, suddenly feeling nervous.

Donte nodded. "Me too," he confessed. "I know that...that I lost you once, but I don't think I could lose you again..."

That. That right there...that was how I knew.

"I can't lose you either."

I don't know what happened. It was like a magnet was pulling us or something...all I know was that, my eyes were drawn to his lips and I just wanted to kiss him. I could tell he felt the same because his gaze fell on my lips as well.

Just as we were about to kiss, Jordan's loud voice sounded through the air, breaking the moment and the energy between Donte and I.

On top of that, it scared me so bad that I jumped, accidentally releasing my hold from Donte and slipped underwater.

Quickly, Donte grabbed me and pulled me back up, causing me to cling to him, my arms wrapped around his neck, our faces once again, inches away from each other, causing for us to smile shyly.

"PLEASE TELL ME Y'ALL AIN'T DEAD," Jordan whined, putting his glasses on. His eyes focused and widened when he saw Donte and I, then a dumb grin formed on his face. "Well, well, well..."