S2 Chapter 5: Dishes

Ebina: "..."

Tobe: "I, uh..."

His confession his going to flop. Without a doubt it is.

There's something that a majority wants. For things to stay the same. Hayama, Miura, and Ebina don't want anything to change between their friendships.

They want to look at each other and laugh as high school friends, and nothing more. They don't want their relationships with their friends to change, because if it does, it can completely break the entire friend group.

Tobe: "I called you out here because... I-..."

Ebina: "..." Her face lacked any emotion. There wasn't a sense of joy, nor a sense of fear.

The easiest way out of this confession is to avoid it

I'm fine with doing this. 

But I still can't shake this sense of unease. Like I was going to throw up. It was killing me.

Tobe: "Listen, Ebina... I... I-"

Y/N: "I'm in love with you, Ebina. Please, accept my confession." I ran in front of Tobe, stopping him from speaking.

I couldn't see the look on everyone else's faces, only Ebina's. Even then, I had bowed my head down, so the only thing that I could see was the floor in front of me.

My heart ran quickly. I could practically feel my head filling with blood as the seconds passed. I was hoping this would play out accordingly. 

Ebina: "...Apologies, Y/N-kun. I am not interested in anyone currently. No matter who asks me out, I'll never go out with them."

Tobe: "..."

I couldn't see Tobe's face, nor could I hear him. However, deep down I knew he was hurting. 

Ebina: "...If that's all this was for, then I'll be going." 

Tobe: "...!" He reached out to her, but she had already turned around and started leaving.

Ebina slowly walked away, leaving the bamboo forest we were surrounded in.

My mind was empty. There wasn't a single thought running through it. That was the only way to do this, after all. If I was conscious the entire time, I'd be more worried about what other people think than actually doing what I'm supposed to.

Tobe: "Y/N... That wasn't cool man... I mean, at least I found out before she told me, but-"

Y/N: "It's already done. Stop complaining." I didn't want to deal with his emotions any longer.

I had gone enough trying to get them together, there's no point in trying anymore. Now he knows that he can't get with her... but, still...

Y/N: "*sigh*...Tobe, you told me that you'd never give up. That you'd try again, even if she rejected you, right?"

Tobe: "..."

"Don't fall on your words, Tobe. That's what I'm counting on."

I never apologized to Tobe for my actions, and I never will. There's no point. He knows she's not interested in anyone at the moment, but the mention of the fact that he won't give up is what gave me the smallest bit of hope.

There is still a chance for him, I'm just praying that I won't have to deal with it next time.

Hayama approached us both, pushing Tobe down the path with his head down. He stopped after a second, turning around to face me.