4•7 Back Home

7 - Back Home

The loud blaring sound served as a cue for the kids to stop throwing the sharp balls on us. They quickly ran away while laughing as if they were really just still playing.

Then we heard the voice again. "Ah, this won't do."

The huge tent was filled with our screams when the ropes were suddenly cut and we fell on the ground. We're all bruised and wounded, now we have broken bones.

None of us died. But none of us are okay either.

"B-Babe..."

I heard Saint's voice so I looked to my right. He was obviously still in a lot of pain but he extended his left hand to reach me. I tried to reach for his hand too.

He breathed a sigh of relief when our fingers touched.

"Wren!" Chad looked so messed up like us too but he gathered all his remaining strength to get up and go to Wren. He helped her sit up and hugged her tight.

"Gusto ko na... umuwi," halos walang boses na sabi ni Wren.

Mabilis namang tumango si Chad. "Uuwi na tayo. Uuwi na tayo," sabi niya.

Pero makakauwi ba talaga kami?

"Uuwi na tayo," rinig kong sabi rin ni Saint. Ibinalik ko ang tingin sa kaniya at ngumiti siya sa 'kin.

Sinubukan ko ring ngumiti.

"Kaya n'yong tumayo?" tanong sa 'min ni Kurt nang makaupo siya. Lumapit siya para tulungan ako habang tumayo namang mag-isa si Saint.

"Putangina ni Justin." Parang hindi na nakapagtimpi pa si Chad at nasabi na 'yon. Halata ang galit sa mga mata niya.

"M-Mahal—"

"Putangina niya talaga, Wren!" Even I was shocked when I heard the most happy-go-lucky person that I know, scream like that. He looked really mad. "Hindi ganito ang hustisya! Krimen lang din 'to! Mas malala pa siya sa—"

I could only blink when Chad looked at me. I know what he was gonna say. It's just that I was there, that's why he stopped his self.

"S-Sorry, Pres—"

"No..." I shook my head. "I-I'm sorry." My voice cracked.

"Babe." Saint tried to hold my hand but I moved away. He looked shocked too.

"I'm sorry." Tumulo ulit ang mga luha ko. "I was too scared, I'm sorry."

"T-Trace..." Wren said, looking confused and full of pity at me.

"I thought he'd do it to me if I didn't bring other kids!" pag-amin ko. Lalong lumakas ang pag-iyak ko dahil sa sobrang hiya. "I'm sorry! I'm really sorry!"

"Trace, alam mo..." Kurt looked at me with wide eyes. What seemed like it was supposed to be his question at first, became a statement. He's not wrong anyway.

I may be young then, but I was fully aware that what my father did to the previous kids and was going to do to the new kids I bring is bad. I knew that it's wrong.

"I'm sorry," was all I could say.

"The bomb has been dropped!" We heard the voice without the loud blaring noise serving as a warning. He sounded like some talk show host spilling some tea. "Twelve years after its due," he added which made me close my eyes.

Alam ko naman. Na 12 years kong pinilit na maging normal ang buhay ko kahit pa, all this time, may kasalanan na dapat kong pinagbabayaran.

"Proceed to the next room, players."

Tahimik kaming sumunod sa utos. It broke my heart that Saint didn't hold my hand or walked with me but I'm aware that I'm in no place to complain. I just told them that I'm a criminal. He must be thinking twice about our relationship now. He must be regretting that he met me.

I was looking down that's why I immediately stopped at the door. The flooring of the new room was very familiar. I looked up and froze when I saw the whole room.

It was an entertainment room. Our entertainment room—in the house where I grew up... with my dad. It's the same shelves, the same sofa, the same appliances.

I was still overwhelmed with how similar the room was to our own entertainment room when the large TV suddenly lit up. And there, played one of my nightmares.

"I-Is that Justin?" Wren asked, recognizing the 14 year old boy who was crying while sitting on a wooden chair. Hindi niya na kinailangan ng sagot noong may isa pang pamilyar na lalaki na lumabas sa screen—si Trevor Alejandro.

Yes. It was a tape record of Trevor Alejandro's 8th crime. And yes. It covered everything.

Wren closed her eyes while covering her ears, finding it hard to hear the cries of the teenager Justin. Saint, Chad, and Kurt looked away too. I didn't. I've seen this before anyway... live.

Then there was a loud crashing sound from the recording due to the camera falling to floor. Out of shock, Wren accidentally opened her eyes. She wasn't able to close them again when she caught a glimpse of another familiar face on the screen.

"W-Wait..." she whispered. Then she slowly looked at me.

Chad looked back at the screen too, then at me. "Pres..."

"N-Nando'n ka?" Kurt asked. Hindi tulad nina Wren at Chad, hindi niya nagawang lumingon sa 'kin. Nakapako lang ang tingin niya sa screen at sa sampung taong gulang na batang babae na nahahagip ng nahulog na camera.

Hindi ako nakasagot. Ni hindi ko magawang tignan si Saint.

"That is why the Alejandro's paid millions to hide these tapes, to protect their 10 year old baby, so that only her father will be put to jail," the voice explained it like some kind of trivia. "But Justin's family doubled the amount to get their hands on them."

I knew about the tapes. From the very first victim up to the 8th, I was aware that my dad was recording them. But I didn't know that I was on the last tape. And I forgot about them as they disappeared when he was caught. I didn't know that my grandparents paid for it to be gone just like that.

"I could give them to you," the voice said and I felt a sudden panic in my system. I know I should pay for my mistakes but is this how it really should go? "You can go out with the evidence to make Tracy Alejandro pay for what she did."

Napalunok ako. Isa-isa kong tinignan ang mga kasama ko. Kukunin ba nila?

My eyes remained on Saint. Kukunin ba niya?

"Kurt," the voice called and we all looked at him. That's only when he was able to take his eyes away from the screen. They moved to the present version of that 10 year old girl. To me.

"Do you want it?"

;