part 11. the ocean isn't cold

"and i'm finished." violet closes her book, taking out the bookmark before placing it back into the bag she brought with her today.

"finished what?" michael glances over, now realising what she meant. "weren't you only half way through that book?"

"yea," she confirms what he thought. "but it's not a huge book, three-hundred page books don't take me long."

"i could never read that fast."

violet chuckles, wonderng if michael reads any books at all. perhaps he does, but they probably take him weeks to read.

the situation currently, violet is on the beach with michael and calum. luke and ashton had gone to pick up some more food for everyone. they'd ended up staying at the beach longer than expected, so now they all wanted dinner on the beach.

the sun was almost getting ready to set, violet being extremely glad they had stayed here all day. this is her first of many beach sunset's in california. she couldn't get enough of it.

"i'm gonna go get some pictures of the sunset," michael announces. "won't be long."

violet watches as he walks down to the edge of the beach, starting to snap away some photos of the beautiful sunset. the yellows, oranges and pinks shining across the sky.

now alone with calum. as soon as he speaks, violet's whole body tenses.

"so," he leans on his side, looking at violet. she hesitantly looks his way, peeling her eyes away from the evening sky. "about earlier, i'm sorry for what i said, i didn't mean to make you uncomfortable or anything. i guess i'm not used to having someone new around."

"it's okay," violet faintly smiles. "i think i just need time to warm up to your spicy personality, you know?"

"spicy?"

"well— because you've made sarcastic jokes both times we've met." she explains, but calum laughs. causing her to let out a soft laugh too. "you know what i mean!"

"i do, i'm sorry," he stops laughing, understanding where violet is coming from. ashton had told him that she was nervous to be making friends, so he really would try harder to not make jokes towards her. for now at least. "i know we kinda got off on the wrong foot, but i'll try and dial down my jokes."

"okay," violet nods with a smile. "thank you, calum."

he nods back, thankful she's willing to move past the joke he made earlier today. she'll forget about it, as long as no more jokes that make her uncomfortable are made.

looking over to the top of the beach, luke and ashton are on their way back over with food. however, violet isn't sure on what food ashton is holding. they'd all agreed to get food from the deli, but that's definitely not what ashton is carrying.

she sits herself up, waiting for ashton and luke to sit down before frowning at the covered food he'd purchased.

"i got you more cheesy fries." he passes violet the closed box.

her eyes widen, quickly taking it from him to open it up and gobble up a few fries already. calum laughs as he takes his sandwich from luke.

"you are literally—" she pauses to eat a few more fries. "the best friend ever."

he smiles, enjoying her outburst of excitement over some fries. they'd all eaten cheesy fries for lunch, but what does another portion hurt?

michael finally comes back over, sitting down next to calum to start eating his sandwich. the same as the others had been doing.