part 43. shopping

violet and calum's birthdays are approaching fast. with that, comes planning and gift buying.

calum had been thinking about it, and decided he'd just like to go out for a meal and drinks with his friends.

of course, they all know violet wants to pretend it isn't her birthday. she doesn't want a party, doesn't want gifts, doesn't even want anyone to say happy birthday to her.

so, what is ashton doing? thinking of a way to celebrate. looking online for cakes, balloons, anything that could make a great birthday for violet.

meeting up with calum, thinking he'd be the best person to talk to as his birthday is the same day, they head to the mall. starting off with getting some lunch.

deciding on grabbing a quick lunch from mcdonald's, the two friends sit down at a table and begin talking things over.

"so, let me get this straight," calum starts, eating a few fries before continuing. "you want to buy banners, balloons and confetti to decorate violet's apartment as a surprise. even though she told you not to do anything."

"i know she said she doesn't want to do anything," ashton sighs. "but, how can i not do anything. i want her to see that birthday's can be good, to try and show her i care."

calum nods, understanding what he wants. ashton takes out his phone, showing calum something online he had in mind.

"plus, i found these," calum widens his eyes at the price. he never expected it to be so expensive. "she said she never got a chance to get them at the time, so, i'm going to get them."

"you know she won't like you paying that much, mate." calum chuckles.

"i know, but it'll make her happy, and that's all i want." he places his phone down. "this stays between us, okay? i don't want her finding out."

"got it." calum nods.

no one will be finding out what this expensive gift is, just yet. but let's just say it's something violet will extremely love.

"if you're getting her those," calum pauses. "i have no idea what i'm gonna get her."

"that's exactly why i'm asking her to come down here," ashton types away on his phone, inviting violet to join them in an hours time. "we can look around, maybe she'll see something that you could get her."

"what are luke and mike getting her?"

"i know luke and michael seemed set on the idea of roller skates," ashton tells him. "you know, after i told you about that conversation i had with her about her old birthday's."

"i could buy her knee and elbow pads for the skates," calum laughs. "we don't need her hurting herself on her first time skating."

ashton nods, thinking that would be the best idea.

"i'm going to go down to the cake place later too," ashton explains. "get them to make a cake for her."

"i think she'd like that." calum agrees. "could make it pink and purple, put some flower decorations on it, i can pick up candles on my way home."

"perfect."

with that agreed and them both finishing eating, they decide to head to where they agreed to meet violet.

the time had gone faster than expected, violet pulling up to the parking lot. wearing dark blue sweatpants and a white oversized shirt, she hadn't felt the need to dress up today. only going to the mall to see ashton and calum.

she walks through the entrance, placing her phone in her pocket, she sees both guys standing outside of the hollister store. where they agreed to meet.

she waves, smiling softly as she reaches them, "hi." she hugs ashton as he leans down to press a soft kiss to her cheek.