part 36. nail polish

"okay, do i get these chocolates or that shirt i found at the other store?" violet asks.

standing in a candy store at the mall with her aunt, she's trying to figure out what to get ashton as a christmas gift. this being the first christmas she's spending with him, with him as her boyfriend, she's finding it hard to decide.

she'd found a box of chocolates, enclosed in a heart shaped box. milk, dark, coffee, strawberry and orange flavours inside. thinking ashton might like them, she considers buying them.

however, she found a nice shirt from a different store. one she thinks ashton would wear. a white button up, red dragons on either side. it's his kind of style.

oh what to choose.

"it's up to you, sweetie." lisa smiles, looking at the chocolates. "what do you think he'd like most?"

"i don't know," violet sighs, placing the chocolates back on the shelf. "maybe the shirt."

then she hesitates, "but the chocolates would be nice too." she picks them back up. "i'll get these, and i'll go back and buy the shirt too."

lisa smiles but shakes her head at violet's decision process. if violet could, she'd buy anything for ashton. he already means so much to her, even though they haven't been dating for long. he makes her happy, and she'd do anything to make him happy too. so, both it is.

she walks up to the counter, buying the chocolates, placing them into the tote bag she's been using today. the clothing store the shirt was in isn't far away, only taking ten minutes to buy that and get it folded up into her bag.

walking out of the store, her aunt stops for a moment, "i'm going to have to leave you for a while," she looks down at the list on her phone. "i've got some things to buy myself."

violet knew what that meant. her aunt needs to buy gifts for christmas. "just text me once you're done and i'll come find you," violet says. "i'm going to grab a drink from the food court."

"i'll see you soon." lisa starts walking in the opposite direction to violet.

violet walks down to the lower floor, walking through the food court to pick up a milkshake. after being in california for a while now, she's learned they make amazing milkshakes here.

however, before she can go to get one, a table to her right catches her eye. four guys. specifically her friends, who she didn't expect to be here today.

she'd texted with ashton yesterday, he said he'd be out, but not at the mall. she's happy to see him anyway.

slowly walking over, calum spots her first. she smiles at him, placing a finger over her lips so she can try and surprise ashton. him sitting with his back to her being a huge help.

hooking her bag over her shoulder, she reaches the table. leaning down slightly, wrapping her arms around ashton's neck from behind him, cheek pressing against his. he already knows who it is.

"hi." violet softly says, eyes closed, sighing happily as ashton places his hands over the top of her arms that are around him.

"hi, baby," he replies, just as happy to see her. "i missed you."

"i only saw you two days ago." she laughs.

"two days ago is too many," he jokes.

"i missed you too, missed your hugs."

"you better come round here then."

she releases her arms from him, walking around his seat. she places her bag on the ground, looking to find an extra seat when ashton stops her.