part 54. tears

the next morning comes around. the sun is shining under the curtains, indicating another cold day in ohio.

ashton didn't sleep for a while last night, wanting to make sure violet was getting enough rest, wanting her to be comfortable, happy to see her at peace in her slumber.

he's first to wake up today, eyes still closed, arms around violet's torso with her facing him. one of her legs hooked over his hip, her hand resting on his chest in front of her face.

he can hear her soft breathing, indicating that she's still asleep. he slowly opens his eyes, looking down at the peaceful girl on his chest.

he's relieved that she managed to sleep okay, finally calm after everything that happened last night. it was a lot, mostly for her, but ashton hated hearing all the things nathan said. suddenly, the throbbing feeling in his hand gets his attention.

he holds up his right hand, seeing the colour around his knuckles has turned a red mixed with purple colour. that was fast. how fast do things like that usually bruise? he wouldn't know. this is the first time he's ever punched anyone.

having been looking and stretching out his hand, ashton hadn't realised that violet had woken up, now also looking at his hand.

"is your hand okay?" her voice quiet and gravely.

he instantly looks down at her, watching as she lets out a long yawn before closing her eyes again. still seeming very sleepy. he runs his hand through her hair, hearing her sigh as he does so.

"it hurts a little, but it's fine." he reassures.

violet doesn't talk again, causing ashton to think she's already fallen back asleep. he stops the movement of his hand in her hair for a moment, only then realising she is awake.

"you can keep doing that," she instructs. "feels nice."

he goes back to doing what he was before, deciding on if he should ask how she's doing today or not. he does anyway, wanting to check up on her.

"how are you feeling?" he asks.

"like i died and came back to life." she states, half joking. "why did i drink so much, my insides are probably ruined."

"do you remember much from yesterday?" he questions next.

surely not? she was way too drunk to remember you punching her ex in the face. right?

"that depends on if that asshole getting punched was a dream or not." she chuckles quietly.

"definitely wasn't."

violet opens her eyes, shuffling herself so she can look up at ashton in a more comfortable position. almost laying perpendicular to him, with her head comfortably on his stomach.

"are you okay?" she questions. "you punched a guy for me, that's not something i expected to happen."

"i'm okay," he nods. "i don't know what came over me to do that, he just made me so angry. i didn't know what else would get him to stop."

"thank you for doing it," she says, taking hold of his bruised hand gently. pressing a delicate kiss to his knuckles.

wishing to stay here like this for longer, just relaxing. that would've been nice. but violet's phone starts vibrating on the nightstand. where ashton placed it last night with their food.

without thinking twice, ashton grabs it and answers it for her, "hey, rose." he says.

"oh! ashton, hey," she replies, expecting violet to answer. "is violet okay?"