part 35. boyfriend

things had been going well between violet and ashton so far. they now call or facetime every night, usually for hours. they're practically never apart anymore. things are happy, they're happy.

of course, as violet knows, the happiness can't last forever.

christmas is just around the corner. violet's mom is expecting to hear that she has booked a flight to come home for the holidays. but, that isn't the case.

on the phone with her mom currently, having talked for almost thirty minutes already, she's trying to stay calm. that isn't always the easiest thing to do.

"christmas is in three weeks, violet," aubrey reminds her, as if violet didn't already know that. "are you coming home or not? i need to know before i go buying food for us all."

"i um, i don't know if i can," violet tells her mom, already preparing for what's to come.

"you've been here every christmas for the past twenty four years," aubrey shakes her head. "and suddenly you have friends in california and don't want to see your family anymore."

"it's not just that, mom," violet crosses one arm over her stomach. "it's hard arranging flights at this time of year, it's expensive too."

"well, you had the money to move to california in the first place." you could hear the annoyance in her voice.

"and i've had to spend money to keep my apartment, flights aren't cheap, you know that."

"and i expected you to have some money aside to come home."

"this is just one year, i doubt i'll even have a reason to stay here by next year." violet slouches down on her couch.

"you have a reason now?" aubrey replies. violet almost couldn't believe her mom has the audacity to even say something like that.

"actually," violet pauses. thinking this through. "i do, i have a big reason to be staying here now."

"and that is?"

"i um, i have a boyfriend, mom." violet smiles thinking about him. "it's ashton, one of the guys i made friends with here."

"ah, rose did mention something about an ashton a few days ago."

that's all she says. that's all she can say about her own daughter being in a relationship. violet thought she'd have more to say.

"i assume that's why you're not coming home for christmas."

"i mean, that's not why but—"

"no, no. i was your age once, violet. that is why you're not coming." she interrupts her. "i see you've obviously decided family is less important."

"i've only been with him for a week." violet points out.

"we'll see you sometime next year," aubrey says, violet would never be prepared for the next part. "when you end up running back here when you get your heart broken."

"mom.." violet rolls her eyes.

"text me if you decide to come home." aubrey finishes with. "goodbye, violet."

the line goes quiet. violet holding her phone up for a few more seconds, trying to process the conversation she's just had with her mom.

at least she won't be going home for christmas.

but, running home? after she gets her heart broken? her mom is referring to nathan. after things with him got worse, violet moved back home without a second thought.

and then her mind runs wild. what if that happens this time? what if she does get her heart broken? what if she does end up moving back home because of her and ashton breaking up?