part 26. camping

camping.

something that's meant to be simple.

staying outdoors in a tent, or a jeep as violet and ashton will be doing. a night where you shouldn't need tons of items to bring along. but of course, violet always overpacks, over worries, over thinks. which is why she's packing too much stuff.

bag on her bed, practically overflowing. two hoodies, a spare shirt, for no reason, an extra pair of sweatpants incase she gets anything on the first pair, she won't, hair ties, phone chargers and money. that's what's in her bag.

ashton already told her she doesn't need to bring much with her. did she listen? no.

"woah," he says walking into her room behind her. "are we going on a weeks camping trip?"

she looks towards him, frown on her face, "i might need more than one hoodie, and the shirt is incase this one's uncomfortable, and i could spill something on these sweatpants so i need extras."

"we're camping for one night, violet," he reminds. "you don't need anything extra."

"but what if it's too cold—"

"i have two blankets in my car."

"but i might still be too cold."

"you won't be," he tells her. "i'm usually warm enough, so i think you will be too."

"okay," she finally listens, grabbing her tote bag which is hanging by the handle of her wardrobe. "i'll just bring, um, what do i actually need?"

"your phone, that's about it."

"right," she looks down, grabbing her phone chargers out to put them into her tote bag.

after she decides on bringing a pair of her fluffy socks, she follows ashton out to her living room. placing her shoes on while he waits at the door.

"so, dinner," ashton says as they walk out of her apartment, down to the elevator. "where do you wanna eat?"

they step inside, violet hitting the ground floor button, doors closing a moment later. "wherever you wanna go, i don't mind."

he nods, leading her out to his jeep. they get inside, violet placing her bag in the back where the pillows and blankets are along with ashton's bag. they buckle up, and begin driving.

"are you hungry now?" ashton asks. "we have a pretty long drive ahead of us going by my gps, i was hoping there wouldn't be as much traffic."

"eat now? grab some snacks for the journey?"

he agrees, continuing to drive for another 20 minutes before pulling up at a roadside diner. they go inside, sitting at a booth near the entrance of the restaurant.

violet looks around, seeing the counter where two people are sitting drinking milkshakes, a few others sitting around the place. hardwood flooring, beige walls, seats a light red colour. the strong smell of french fries that you couldn't miss.

after they order their meals and drinks, violet looks outside. it nearing sunset already, the winter months where it gets darker earlier is always the worst. she prefers when it's brighter for longer.

"where exactly are we going camping?" she asks, turning to ashton. "you said it's almost a two hour drive but didn't specify."

"joshua tree," he explains. "it's this nice national park, and they have drive in camping spots so i thought it'd be perfect."

while talking about joshua tree, their meals are brought over as well as violet's coke and ashton's chocolate milkshake, which he begins drinking right away.