part 14. that time of the month

as someone who has to deal with a certain thing every month, you know it can be one of the worst times of your life.

cramps, mood swings, trying to find remedies to stop the immense pain that's caused by having a period.

well, at least violet finally knows why she was having moodswings a few days ago.

this is the first time since coming to california that it's causing her problems. the other ones weren't so bad. this time, the cramps are continuous, and nothing seems to be making them go away.

she'd let her aunt know she wouldn't be coming to the store today, lisa completely understanding why. it's not a problem at all. in fact, symptoms of a period should be treated as being sick, allowing people with time off.

but that will probably never happen.

violet had been laying in bed, eating ice cream and cookies while watching movies all day. there was nothing else for her to do, other than trying to sleep, watch movies and drown in her own sorrows.

now, ashton, on the other hand. he had been happily on his way to the store. his usual routine, to go and see violet. they'd texted a couple days ago and violet had told him she'd definitely be at the store today after she'd been feeling a little better.

it's always calm before the storm.

and there was definitely a storm alright.

she'd taken different types of painkillers, that didn't work, used her hot water bottle, that had no effect, she'd tried laying and sitting in various positions. ultimately, nothing has worked to stop her terrible cramps this time.

currently, she's sitting with her knees to her chest, trying to focus on the movie she's been watching on her laptop. spiderman no way home, is what she's watching. she loves marvel, and she loves tom holland. nothing could beat it. maybe if she didn't have cramps she'd be able to focus a little better.

either way, she'd completely forgotten she'd asked ashton to meet her for coffee today...

he arrives at the store, smile on his face, excited to see violet again. even though it had only been a week since he saw her, he's happy to be seeing her now.

ashton walks inside, glancing down one of the isles, not seeing violet anywhere. he goes up to the counter, seeing lisa checking something on the cash register. she looks up after hearing his footsteps getting closer.

"hi! it's good to see you." she smiles. "what can i help you with today?"

"is violet here?" he asks. "she told me she'd be working today."

"oh, did she not tell you?" lisa asks, ashton frowns as he shakes his head. "she's sick today unfortunately, but you can go up and see her, i'm sure she won't mind."

"okay, thanks so much." he smiles and walks away.

ashton leaves through the back of the store, wondering if she's okay. she hadn't texted him to tell him she's sick, or that she'd have to cancel getting coffee. he thinks to the worst thing, that she is upset like last time he saw her.

he reaches violet's apartment, gently knocking on the door before taking a step back to wait. hearing light footsteps after a few moments. the door opens, revealing violet in her fluffy pyjama pants and a pastel pink hoodie.

but she seems fine? she doesn't look sick at all.

"oh! ashton, hey,"  she smiles lightly. but then she widens her eyes. "oh my god. i forgot we were meant to get coffee today. i'm so sorry."