part 62. i love you

after talking over everything, ashton and violet continued to enjoy the day at his cabin. he showed her around the whole property so she knows where things are, they went for a nice walk outside, down the street and to the lake that's nearby.

of course, violet underestimated how cold it would be. now finding out that california does in fact have cold weather, almost as cold as ohio.

by the time they came back to the cabin, it was time for dinner. ashton decided to cook them the spaghetti he was going to cook the day before. they sat down, ate their food and then watched a movie while snuggled up together.

near the end of the movie, ashton noticed violet starting to dose off. head dropping every few minutes. that's when he decided it would be good to switch the tv off.

"violet?" ashton quietly says, violet glancing up at him. "do you want to go to bed, baby? it's been a busy day and it is getting late."

"no, i'm okay," she says with a yawn, not helping her case. "wanna stay up with you."

"how about i run you a bath?" he suggests, if violet wants to stay up, he at least wants her to feel more comfortable.

"hm, that sounds nice," she whispers tiredly. "can there be bubbles? i like bubbles."

"anything you want." he smiles, lifting her into his arms as he stands.

he walks down the hall to the bedroom, gently lowering violet onto the bed, "i'll come and get you once it's ready," he holds her hand for a moment, kissing the back of it. "won't be long."

she nods, watching as ashton walks into the bathroom, hearing the water starting to run. she stays comfortably on the bed, eyes closed, trying not to fall asleep again.

she thinks about today, and how much better the end has been compared to how she felt when she first woke up.

deciding to sit up while she waits, so to not fall asleep, she remembers the paper on ashton's desk, getting up to take a seat there. she didn't plan on reading some of what was written, but the paper is just laying there.

one piece catches her attention, the messy, scribbled writing. it seemed rushed, perhaps at a worse time. she reads the top of the sheet, written in thick black writing.

scar.

she wonders what this could be about. it's written like song lyrics. she knows that he plays guitar, he wrote some of a song for her. but, now there's this. at his cabin, the place he said he comes to if he needs to clear his head. these sheets of paper. maybe she shouldn't be reading, she continues on anyway.

got me wishing god would show me the way,
show me heaven maybe just for the day
i'm feeling something that i don't understand
can you help me be a better man?

skipping further down she keeps going,

break down the door, there's something more
don't be afraid that in the end, you'll have nothing

her heart sinks. surely these lyrics don't mean what she thinks they mean. of course, she'd been too focused to have heard the water stop, as well as noticing ashton standing at the door.

"vi?" he says quietly, seeing what she's doing.

her head snaps around to him, "sorry, i um—" she closes her eyes, now feeling bad. "this was probably private, i'm sorry."

"no, no, don't apologise," he walks over, placing his hands on her shoulders. "i left them there, it's fine that you found it. bath's ready though, you should probably get in while it's still nice and warm."