part 12. drop the attitude

violet rolls up to the store a few hours later than she'd told her aunt she'd be there. of course she wanted to be there earlier that morning, however, the events of yesterday caught up to her and she decided to sleep in late.

after falling asleep before having the chance to shower, and in ashton's shirt he'd given her. she decided showering and washing his shirt was more important than rushing into the music store today.

she hoped ashton wouldn't mind her washing his shirt. it smells less of salty water than it did yesterday, so surely he won't. of course, she'll still end up explaining herself as if she's committed a crime.

violet took ashton's shirt with her to the store, at the chance he will come in today, storing it on one of the shelves under the counter. she then sits down, on a stool, turning around once she hears her aunt behind her.

"there you are," lisa smiles. "i wondered if you were coming in today or not. you know you didn't have to, violet."

"no, no, i said i would. so here i am." she quickly stands, taking the box lisa was holding to start organising it herself.

lisa follows her, folding her arms and raising her eyebrows at violet. she looks noticeably tired, she hadn't dried her hair after having a shower, and she usually hates going out with wet hair from showering, she shouldn't be here. at least lisa didn't think she should be.

"go home, sweetie." lisa takes the vinyl violet was holding out of her hand. "if you need a day to relax, that's fine, you had a long day yesterday."

"i'm fine, aunt lisa." violet tries to persuade, she's very tired, but she'll feel bad if she goes home instead of helping at the store. "i'd rather be here than sitting around doing nothing at home."

lisa tilts her head to the side, only wanting what's best for violet. she is tired. it'd be better for her to rest. but, she can be stubborn at times.

she takes the vinyl back from her aunt, starting to arrange the shelf. lisa walks away slowly, going out to the back room to grab another box to sort through. she doesn't work on the same isle as violet though, wanting to give her a little space.

however, lisa won't just leave things. violet doesn't seem herself, and she won't leave her alone until she gets answers. real answers.

she heads down violet's isle, replacing some vinyls near the same rack. violet glances up once, returning her attention to the vinyls she has.

"so, tell me about the beach yesterday." lisa sparks up a conversation.

"yea, it was good." violet responds.

but that's all she says. she would usually recite everything that happened. and seeing as it was her first time at the beach, lisa was shocked she didn't want to say more.

"did you try the food stands on the pier?" lisa asks, continuing. "i'm assuming you had cheesy fries."

"oh, yea i did," violet nods while keeping her focus on sorting through this box. "i had cheesy fries for lunch, then ashton bought more for me for dinner. he really didn't have to, but he did. he's a really nice guy."

"see," lisa smiles. "i told you things would turn out okay."

"yea, i guess—"

violet stops talking, hearing her phone ding with a notification. she grabs it out of her pocket, seeing a few texts popping up from sophia, what a surprise.

and next came the phone call.

she rolls her eyes, answering. perhaps she shouldn't have.

"hey, sophia." she closes her eyes, sophia's hysterically shouting coming through the phone. "soph— hold on a second— what?"