part 37. lover of mine

you'd think the christmas season would be fun.

christmas decorations around the house. christmas tree covered in ornaments and lights, tinsel around the staircase and some around the windows, beautiful wreaths hanging on the door. and, violet's favourite, little ornaments you can put up around the house.

violet's christmas tree is up in her living room, bright lights decorating almost the whole apartment. a miniature tree in her room by the desk as well as little snowman ornaments on the ledge of her window.

the decorations are probably her favourite part about this season.

you'd think she'd be happy to be spending christmas in california this year. but she's far from it at this very moment.

today is christmas eve. luke had suggested to get together tonight, even though he said no to that idea not very long ago. the guys agreed on it, so violet didn't say no.

she's perfectly good friends with her friend's girlfriends now, so there was no issue there. plus the fact that she'd been told they were visiting family and wouldn't be back until new year's eve. so why would she not want to go.

ashton had come over early, spending more time with violet. they're almost never apart anymore.

he'd brought his outfit for the party over so he could get ready at the same time as violet. already agreeing to let him use her bathroom while she gets changed in her room.

ashton is in the bathroom now, while she's sitting in front of her mirror. frown on her face, hair slightly knotty from where she hasn't brushed it yet. make up on her desk for her to use, dress laid out on her bed. but she's yet to move from her position.

ashton walking into her room now wasn't ideal, "okay, i'm... ready." he stops in his tracks, seeing the look on her face. "what's wrong, baby?"

he walks over, standing behind her at the mirror. placing his hands on her shoulders, she only glances up at his reflection. shrugging her shoulders as she drops her hairbrush to the floor. almost feeling as if she could cry.

"you don't have to dress up or do your make up for this," he softly says. "it's only the guys."

"i don't want to go," she mumbles.

ashton kneels down beside her, resting his hands on her knees as he looks up to her.

"talk to me, vi, what's going on?"

"i don't know," she places her hands on top of his.

as much as she says she doesn't know. ashton has known her for enough time to understand her expressions and body language.

"you're anxious?" he asks. getting a nod from violet. "okay, that's okay. why don't i text luke and ask if we can change things up a little?"

"change things?" she shakes her head quickly. "that's not— i'm not anxious about going, or seeing the guys. i just— i don't know, it's so fucking complicated."

"hey hey hey, it's alright, love." he tries to calm her by offering a soft smile. however, she looks away. "what are you anxious about? talk to me about it."

ashton stands up, holding onto violet's hands. he pulls her up with him, taking her towards her bed to sit down. she sits sideways on his lap, his arms snug around her torso.

"we're going to figure it out, vi." he tries to reassure her. "what's going on?"

"it's just christmas altogether." she looks down. holding onto one of ashton's hands, beginning to play with the rings on his fingers.