part 53. upper cut

since knowing nathan, violet's ex, was at the wedding, the rest of the evening had been going extremely slowly.

violet had been trying to act normally with ashton, not wanting to tell him nathan was here. knowing full well ashton would want to confront him. even though she hasn't told him much of what he did to her.

by now, everyone has had food and drinks. the party time of the wedding having begun. a few people dancing, some people at the bar, others snacking on any food that's out.

they'd even gotten past how nervous she was about her appearance, ashton telling her she looked as beautiful as ever. only making a small joke about how different she looks with that amount of make up on. she'd always be beautiful to him, no matter what.

ashton and violet are sitting at a table, violet enjoying a cocktail. or her second one. maybe it's her third? she can't remember.

she's one more cocktail away from ashton asking her if she's okay. not used to her wanting to drink so much when nothing has gone wrong. at least, he doesn't think anything's gone wrong.

things were okay at the moment. violet hadn't seen nathan for at least an hour. probably hanging with some of the other guys.

ashton had gotten up a few minutes ago, telling violet he was going to request a song to be played. he'd noticed her strange mood tonight and he's determined to change that.

as he starts walking back to the table, violet would recognise the distinct sound of harry styles' voice anywhere. ashton had requested that they play love of my life.

violet places her drink down in front of her, smiling softly as ashton gets closer. he holds out his hand and she takes it, standing up.

briefly losing her footing while doing so, perhaps the heels and effects of the alcohol playing a part. she follows him further out into the middle of the room, noticing some other couples dancing along to the song.

even including sophia and joey.

"have you ever slow danced to this song before?" ashton asks, placing one hand on her waist, holding onto her hand in the other.

"i don't think i've ever slow danced with someone at all." violet chuckles.

"well, as you like a good romantic gesture," ashton quotes what she said on valentine's day. "i happen to think slow dancing is very romantic."

he holds her close, starting to sway them back and forth to the music. violet letting out a happy sigh.

"good song choice too," she looks up at ashton. "baby, you were the love of my life."

singing along to the lyrics she knows so well.

"maybe, you don't know what's lost til you find it." ashton continues on. perhaps thinking he relates to that specific lyric. "i was lost until i found you."

"don't get emotional on me when i've been drinking," violet shakes her head, leaning against his chest as they keep dancing slowly. "i think i was the lost one."

she leans back, ashton keeping her close against him with his hand now resting on the small of her back.

"i was so lost before i met you," violet places her free hand on his face, caressing her thumb back and fourth. "you've made me feel like i'm worth something, that i can be loved, you're just— you mean the world to me."

"baby," ashton gives a soft look, leaning down to kiss her, making it last a few moments before pulling away. "i love you, so much."

violet smiles, placing her hand on his shoulder again. dancing and being this close to ashton is all she ever dreamed about having in a relationship. any thoughts of nathan being here practically leave her mind.