_-*Chapter 4*-_

Tendou POV

****************************************************************************************************

It took longer to swim up to the surface than I originally thought, I was tired and tempted to just swim back down, as that was easier. But my curiosity pushed me forward. And it's a good thing it did. Otherwise, I would never have laid my eyes upon Him.

He was tall, taller than I would be if my tail were legs. His hair was a dark olive brown and his eyes were of a matching color. He was muscular, but not overly buff. He was adorned with medals and royal-looking attire. And on his head was the gleaming gold of a crown.

My heart jumped in my chest and my breath caught in my throat. He was perfect. I peered through the cannon holes of the ship, my eyes following his every movement. For a split second, we met each other's gaze, but I quickly ducked under the water.

While I was hiding, I noticed a flash of light in the distance. Not only that, but I felt something not uncommon for merfolk to feel. The presence of an oncoming storm. And not just any storm, from the feeling, I'd say this was a pretty big one.

Sure enough, not five minutes since I first saw the light, the waves began to get bigger and the wind blew harder.

Those two forces tossed the boat to and fro like a ragdoll. I could see and hear the men clambering on and shouting on the ship, the prince at the steering wheel commanding the crew. His face showed no fear, just serious resolve.

I was scared and had thought of retreating, but before I could turn to swim away, a massive wave came over the side of the ship, turning it over. The people on the ship flailed as they were thrown into the water, struggling to keep their heads up.

My eyes searched for the prince but I couldn't see him. Suddenly, I realized if he wasn't among the men at the surface, he must be among the ones drowning.

I dove under the surface, searching frantically, disregarding the splinters of wood that had the potential to kill me. I wove through the sinking wreck of the once magnificent boat. Eventually, I saw him. His hair was waving in the water like the kelp of the forests but his beautiful eyes were closed. His mouth was slightly agape and I panicked. What if he was already dead?

I refused to let that happen. I darted after him, wrapping my arms around his chest, ignoring the feeling of his abs underneath the soaking material of his clothes. Horniness aside, I need to save his life first.

I swam to the surface with great difficulty, breaking the surface tension and taking care to hold his head above the flames. Then, with even more difficulty, I swam him to the shore, which wasn't a great deal away, as the boat was more of a party boat than anything else.

When I reached the beach, I laid him across the sand, and held him in my arms, unsure of what to do next.

I brushed his wet hair away from his face and kissed his forehead. I wasn't sure if he had lived. But, growing up as a disappointment, I grew to expect the worst.

So, I opened my mouth and let out a sorrowful tune. If a merman could cry, I think I would have the—what are they called? Oh—tears flowing down my face. My melody had no words, but it didn't need words to express the emotion I felt.

I barely knew this man, yet the clenching of my hearts—mers have 17—was so painful it felt as though I was dying.

So I sat there, on the damp sand, the prince lifeless in my arms, the stars glittering above me as the clouds cleared, singing the mournful song of heartache. 

***********************************************************************************************

What is your second greatest fear?