_-*Chapter 18*-_

Good evening, or morning, or night,  or whatever-time-it-is-where-you-are :)

If you are enjoying the story, please consider leaving a vote, it certainly helps me retain motivation

Tendou POV

*************************************************************************************************************

Wakatoshi led me to a garden outside. I squinted in the sunlight, the sun having fully risen now, shone its rays upon the land like—ehhh—spotlights! He led me excitedly on the path that wove through the flowers surrounding us. The garden—of which I can describe barely from the blurs of colors that went by quickly—was mainly a flower garden. The gardens on land have a much wider variety than those at my palace. They smelled better too, a fragrance so heavenly that it nearly overwhelmed me.

"Mother!" Wakatoshi called out to a woman who was kneeling in front of a garden bed.

She turned her head and she was breathtaking. She looked like a more feminine version of Wakatoshi, but older. Everything was the same, from the color of her hair all the way to the way she smiled.

"Wakatoshi," She greeted warmly as she stood and then turned to me, "and who is this handsome boy?"

"T-Tendou," I stuttered, still taking in her beauty, "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance," I bowed low and she patted my shoulder with her hand.

"Please," She laughed, "you needn't use such formalities with me, Tendou. From the looks of it, you are that mysterious boy that Wakatoshi keeps talking about."

Toshi blushed and looked away, embarrassed, "Mother, s-stop."

I laughed lightly and squeezed his hand, "I'm glad to know I'm someone important to him," I grinned at his shyness.

"And I'm glad to know he finally found someone, dear," She smiled and turned to Wakatoshi, "You should bring him to lunch with us, your Father would love to meet him."

Wakatoshi nodded and turned to me, "Would you like to accompany me to lunch?"

"Of course!" I beamed happily and then his mother dragged me away to a part of the garden.

"Look here, Tendou," She gently touched a flower to show me, "This is the Middlemist's Red camellia, Shiratorizawa is one of the only kingdoms where they grow, aren't they beautiful?"

"They are pretty, Ushijima-San," I agreed, carefully touching the petals of the dainty flower.

"Please, call me Haruka," She waved her hand, "It's only fitting, as your future mother-in-law."

I blushed red enough to match my hair and the flowers around us, seeing this only made Haruka-san laugh harder.

"I don't know if he'd accept me," I mumbled softly.

"Tendou, darling," she placed her hands on my shoulders and spoke in a serious tone, "Wakatoshi is so deeply in love with you it's ridiculous. Even more than Shimizu was with her wife."

"Hmm," I hummed softly, hoping that what Haruka-san said was true.

"Trust me, Tendou," She winked playfully, "Wakatoshi is a man of few words and even fewer emotions, but lately all he talks about is about the stunning red-head he met that stirred a feeling in his heart."

I smiled at the thought that I was the one that brought him so much joy. Then I realized something, "Where is Toshi, anyway?"

Looking around, I saw no sign of the mentioned man. Haruka-San scoffed with a smile on her lips, "He's probably off on the other side of the garden watering his vegetables. He loves those things like his own children."

I imagined Wakatoshi caring for a plant like a child and the idea was absolutely preposterous, but he's also full of surprises.

"Huh," I said thoughtfully, "I never thought of him as a plant lover kind of guy."

She laughed loudly and then her face lit up with a mischievous smile, "Now that you're going to dinner with us," she began, her smile widening and her eyes glinting dangerously, "We must get you ready."

I took a step back, suddenly feeling as though I should run as she laughed sinisterly.

"Now don't run away," She reassured, grabbing my arm, "It won't hurt...probably."

With that, she whisked me off toward the castle before I could say another word.

♡♛♕♛♡

"Shimizu, grab the vest," Haruka instructed her daughter—she had roped Shimizu into her scheme after coming across her and her wife on the way here; a small room located in one of the taller towers.

Shimizu handed her an emerald green and black vest and Haruka-San slipped it onto my thin frame.

She stepped back and looked me up and down, "What do you think, Hitoka?" She turned to a blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl who was watching with wide eyes.

"E-eh? He looks good.." She stuttered, tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear.

"I don't know if that necklace suits it though," Haruka thought out loud and my hand shot up to fiddle with it.

"I would prefer to keep it on," I requested and she nodded.

"As you wish," she shrugged, "but let's just..." she moved the necklace underneath my clothing so it was out of sight. "Perfect. Here look-" she pulled me toward a mirror and I took in my new look.

It wasn't necessarily the most comfortable but it was worth it.

I was wearing a white loose-sleeved top that was under the vest. The vest had a black collar and was decorated with a green design that vaguely represented foliage. The tie was twinning with the vest and for pants, I wore a nearly black pair of trousers (?).

I turned to admire myself for a better angle and was taken aback by how important I looked.

"Now," Shimizu clapped her hands, "The hair."

The two women began to advance on me while Hitoka looked on with slight worry in her eyes. 

***********************************************************************************************

Do you think people can truly change for the better or just keep up a façade to appear they've changed before they turn and brutally backstab everyone who thought they could trust them?