_-*Chapter 28*-_

Tendou POV

*************************************************************************************************************

I don't know how long I've been situated in the deepest cell of the dungeon, but it was enough time to properly grieve for my brother.

Now, as I passed the first five stages of grief, I took a page from that book I read—Cruella DeVil—and added a last step. Revenge.

There was no way I would let the king off unscathed when he indirectly murdered my brother.

I swam around the tiny confines of my new room and looked for weak points. Unfortunately, Iwaizumi had designed the new cells a few years ago. That man had an eye for weakness.

I groaned, frustrated.

"This is pathetic, your highness" I heard a voice drawl from the cell across from me. I flinched and narrowed my eyes at the dark shadows moving within it.

"Who's there?" I demanded, shrinking to the back of my own cell.

"Oh, it's just me," a glowing blob suddenly emerged from the darkness, "nothing too bad."

I raised an eyebrow, "show ALL of yourself."

"Tch, smart fish," the creature clicked its tongue, "whatever."

The blob moved forward closer and the low light illuminated the full creature. He had silver hair that was rather short, but his tail was long. It flicked back and forth menacingly, the murky gray color was lined with blue luminescence that created an extraterrestrial-like look to the underwater fish. Sprouting from the top of the man's head was an antenna. At the end was the small glowing blob that he tried to trick me with. I knew right away what—or rather, who—these traits belonged to.

I stifled a gasp of surprise.

An Anglerfish.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," The "man" glared, crossing his arms, "I'm an Anglerfish. So crazy."

"I thought you all died..." I thought aloud.

"We didn't," the gray-haired male said, a dark look passing through his eyes, "the king sure tried, but my mate and I survived."

"Your...mate?" I questioned, looking around for a similar-looking fish.

"He's not here with me," the lanky male sighed, uncrossing his arms and leaning against the wall.

"Oh," I replied softly, sensing the other's distress at the topic, "but why are you here?"

He scoffed and gritted his teeth, "because I came too close to the surface. All I wanted to do was find a gift for the man I love more than anything, and that bastard just locks me up. Apparently, I'm a monster that cannot come near the light of day."

"Huh," I sneered, "I know what that's like."

"What about you?"

"What?"

"Why are you here?" He specified.

"Oh," I laughed darkly, "I was up at the surface, because I fell in love with a human."

"Damn," The anglerfish swam up to the bars completely, "Your dad found out?"

"You bet he did," I scowled, "well, about the surface part, not necessarily the human part. He sent the Eels to spy on me," I held up my burned arm, "and they reported my scandal back to him."

The other fish let out a low "whistle" of sorts.

"But I'm more worried about my brothers," I continued, "they and I were planning a coup," I whispered just loud enough for him to hear.

"Hm," he hummed, "imagine that. Even the king's sons don't like him."

He snorted.

"Yeah, but when I came back, they were gone and I'm scared to hear news of them," I admitted, "I'm scared that my father killed them like he did with my other brother."

"Oikawa?" The creature asked, shocked, "he died?"

"Yeah," I whispered softly.

"Hey, your highness," the silver-haired male continued, "when we get out, can I join that coup of yours?"

I smiled, "of course. And please call me Tendou."

"Ohh, you're that one," he muttered, pleased, "You were always my favorite."

"Why?"

"Because you knew your father's a bitch and you liked to show it," He chuckled, amused. I smiled at the memory of before my mother died.

"He didn't like that one bit," I laughed.

"That's the best part," the fish laughed, "No one else could get him as mad as you did. I saw it as a superpower."

"Huh," I tilted my head thoughtfully, "wait, what's your name?"

"Oh yeah, Lev Haiba," He extended an arm through the bar, "Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Tendou."

I reached out and barely reached his own hand. After an awkward handshake I realized something, "wait, why'd you tell me both your names?"

"Oh, I forgot that's not something mers do," He shrugged, "An anglerfish doesn't exactly mate for life so our names hold practically no power. That's kinda why your dad hated us. He couldn't control us."

♡♛♕♛♡

Lev and I grew closer the next few days we were held captive. He and I realized we had a lot more in common than we previously thought. We had similar childhoods, cast aside because we looked different. I soon realized that Lev really wanted to get back to his lover just as I did. He honestly started to feel like a brother from another mother to me.

Lev was telling me about how his mate, "the most adorable anglerfish, Yaku Morisuke" seemed like a ferocious guy but he's really just a floofball (I didn't really believe that), when I heard a distant jiggle of keys, "Shh, someone's coming," I hissed and he retreated to the darkness of his cell.

I watched the hall through the bars and a few moments later, an awkward guard swam into view. His armor was clearly too big and it was heavy. He neared my cell and I saw his eyes light up.

He stood in front of my cell and removed his helmet to reveal a head full of messy orange hair, "Hinata!" I exclaimed, my heart jumping at seeing the alive-and-well face of my younger brother, "You're okay?!"

"Of course I am, Tendou," He giggled as hugged him through the bars, "now c'mon, we gotta get you out of here."

I nodded and he fit a key into the lock and then swung the door open.

"Wait," I held a hand up before we swam off, "let's take Lev with us."

"Who?"

"Oh, the fish across from me," I specified and Hinata stared at me like I was crazy, "He didn't do anything bad, the only reason he's locked up is because he's an Anglerfish."

Slowly, Lev came into view behind me and Hinata's eyes widened in disbelief.

"Holy sh-"

"Stop, don't finish that."

He nodded meekly and moved to the lock on Lev's own cell.

"He wants to join us in our mission," I vaguely informed him.

Hinata swung Lev's door open and the large fish swam out.

"Thank you so much...Prince Hinata," He bowed to the orange-haired male.

"N-no problem, Lev," Hinata stuttered in return, "Now let's go, if Father finds us, we're dead."

Lev and I nodded and followed Hinata's lead.

***********************************************************************************************

Can taking a life - under any circumstance - be justified?