_-*Chapter 50*-_

Tendou POV

*************************************************************************************************************

I swam behind Iwaizumi and Oikawa, watching how they would occasionally link their fingers together before dropping it.

My heart stung a little, wishing this was something that Wakatoshi and I could have. The loud thud of the throne room doors flying open knocked me out of my thoughts. Searching for the source of the noise, I found Lev holding a bleeding side while glaring venomously through the door.

The three of us rushed into the room to find it a whirl of motion. Palace guards fighting rebels, guards fighting guards. And in the middle of it, my father, with a ring of guards around him and the trident in his hand. I could feel Oikawa's anger in the water.

Immediately, the two of them rushed forward to engage the King's Guard in combat. It was not my place to slay the King, as much as I would want to. Oikawa has the right to attempt it first. But that doesn't mean that I get to slack off in the fight.

A young guard — younger than me — swung his sword from what used to be my blindside. But Kyoutani's sword fighting lessons paid off. I easily parried his blade, much to his surprise, and went in for the counterattack before he could recover. I could almost hear Kyoutani's degrading voice in my head, mocking my form, but most importantly, him saying the words he said every time — the best defense is an even better offense.

The young knight struggled to regain control of the fight, except I didn't want him to have it. I viciously attacked him with my dadao, the weight of the sword making my shoulders burn with exertion. But I found pleasure in this pain. The guard began to grow tired as his attacks and defensive maneuvers became more and more sloppy. But even as I knew I would have to strike the final blow to win, I didn't feel scared to do so. These guards, all of them, had the opportunity to stand against the king. If you want to act as a man, you can die as one too.

I moved on to the next opponent, the conscience in my head silent at the moment. I could see, barely, through the muddled mess of bodies and slightly pink water that Oikawa and Iwaizumi had broken through the King's Guard and were advancing on the King, who held a look of rage on his face.

I smiled sadistically as I imagined him finally falling. My fantasy was cut short when a group of four older knights came charging. This time, I was looking forward to the bloodshed.

Perhaps this is the feeling of power that Kyoutani was seeking when he joined the guard. It truly does feel...rewarding.

***********************************************************************************************

No question, for now, I'm wrapping this up, so if the chapters get crappier, I'm sorry.