_-*Chapter 49*-_

Ushijima POV

*************************************************************************************************************

It's been months since Satori left. Every second has felt like torture of the worst kind. My sister grows more and more worried and my parents seem ridden with worry and pity for me.

I spend my days sitting at the seashore, completely neglecting my duties as crown prince. I don't care. My sister is more than fit to rule the kingdom. I don't want to be king anymore. I just want to be with Satori.

Everytime I think of him, I'm scared that he's dead. Perhaps he had already attempted to overthrow the king and was to be executed. My heart throbs just thinking of the horrible outcome.

I stare dazedly out at the water, a million thoughts rushing to my head at hurricane speed yet my face is slack and void of emotion. Until I see the familiar sparkle of scales in the sun. Yet these scales aren't the beautiful red and white of Satori's, they were navy, and moving much faster then Satori.

I rose quickly and rushed into the water, paying no heed to the cold. My heart leaped into my throat as a mer I did not recognize rose from the water before me.

I stared at him with bated breath, waiting for the news that would make or break me.

"Ushijima-san?" The mer said, quirking an eyebrow up, clearly noting how I was human.

I nodded quickly. The mer reached into a satchel I hadn't noticed and handed me a slip of "paper". Before I could even ask who it was from, the mer swam off.

My hands trembled as I unfolded the sheet, the first thing I noticed was the charm necklace on the parchment. My heart nearly stopped as I picked it up and clenched my fist around it. Then I read the words.

Dearest, Wakatoshi,

The letter began. And I immediately recognized the handwriting style, it was Satori's. This put my heart at rest for the moment until I realized he could have written this however long ago — giving him more than enough time to die.

I'm sorry for leaving so suddenly.

It's okay, I love you.

Truly, every waking hour feels painful to me, but I know it would hurt so much more if the separation were permanent.

Please be alive.

You probably hate me.

Never.

I wanted to reach out, but I was terrified for my father to intercept this note and hurt you.

I'm terrified for you.

I know that I may not live through the battle that is about to commence.

You cannot, please.

So I wanted to give you a keepsake to remember me by.

The necklace could never fill the hole you'll leave.

I love you more than the stars in the sky and I hope you can still love me.

I love you more than the sand in the sea and always will.

I love you, 'Toshi, I hope this isn't my last goodbye,

With all of my love,

Satori Tendou

I let out a shaky breath. I was relieved that he was still alive, but I was now even more scared that he might not be alive much longer.

I clenched my jaw and with resolve in my mind, I clasped the necklace around my neck and said the words.

I know you didn't send the necklace for this purpose, my love, but without you here to stop me, no one else is.

Love you forevermore,

Ushijima Wakatoshi

***********************************************************************************************

What is a book (or fanfiction) that left you sobbing your eyes out at "2 AM"?