_-*Chapter 24*-_

Tendou POV

*************************************************************************************************************

Wakatoshi snuck me out of the castle through his window, so his family wouldn't ask questions and delay my return.

We stood at the edge of the water together, I hesitated in saying the charm to revert me back to my mer form.

I didn't want to leave the wonderful feelings I'd found on the surface, but I knew that my own blood—my brothers—was suffering every moment.

"Toshi," I turned to him quickly, "Take this," I held out my hand containing the charm.

He looked at me confused but took it nonetheless.

"What for?" He studied the delicate sand dollar charm and glanced up at me again.

"J-just..." I paused, "In case I don't come back...it will hold a little reminder of me," I let out a pained smile and he took a step forward. Before he could embrace me, though, I felt the transformation of taking off the charm start to happen.

I held out my hand to keep him away. I wasn't sure if interference while transforming would cause a bad reaction, but I didn't want to risk it.

When it was done, I flopped back on the sand, as I no longer had any legs to support standing up. Wakatoshi rushed forward and scooped me up.

He studied my face, "Satori," He whispered, tucking his face in the crook of my neck, "Meet me here tomorrow. If you aren't here, I'll send my entire naval force and bring you back."

I laughed softly, "If I cannot make it, it might be best that way. I don't want the welfare of your kingdom to be hurt because of my childish folly."

He pulled back slightly to look at my face, his eyes glistening with small tears.

"Goodbye, Wakatoshi," I whispered softly and he immediately connected us with a kiss. A slow, heartache-filled, soul-shredding, tear-invoking kiss.

I'll miss being able to feel these majestical and new feelings.

I pulled away first, tears threatening to fall from my eyes. In order to spare us both the pain of prolonged departure, I wiggled out of my love's arms.

I crawled to the sand and Toshi called out to me one last time before I reached the water's edge.

"Goodbye...Satori," His voice cracked and I smiled, my heart shattered at the thought of leaving my miracle boy and my paradise.

I turned away quickly before he could see the look in my eyes and slipped into the water. I swam far away from Wakatoshi, as if the farther the distance was, the safer he'd be. 

***********************************************************************************************

What is your favorite book (officially published)?