_-*Chapter 27*-_

Ushijima POV

*************************************************************************************************************

I awoke in a cold sweat, the words repeating in my brain again,

Duo ad unum.

And again, Duo ad unum.

I threw off the covers of my bed in anger. I was mad, I had no idea what the swords meant. They nagged at me like the feeling of déjà vu.

I groaned and paced my room.

Duo ad unum.

"DAMMIT," I cursed, raking my fingers through my hair in annoyance.

I clenched my jaw and the necklace that Satori gave me caught my eye.

The sand dollar charm seemed to taunt me alluringly. Like it knew something I did not.

Then it hit me.

Ever since I was a child, my mother would read me stories of gods. Almighty powers who watched down upon the life they created.

They managed the order of the universe. Without them, life would fail to go on.

One particular story caught my attention. I don't remember what exactly the story was about, only that the ending was tragic.

It was about two lovers who caught the attention of a god. The god fell in love with their story and was desperate for them to have a happy ending. When they both died, the god fell into despair and swore that no longer would he refrain from helping a story as beautiful as theirs continue.

I reached over and picked up the necklace thoughtfully, turning it over in my hands.

"Hmm," I hummed, rubbing my thumb over the design etched into the beautiful sea treasure.

"Eros, please be by my side."

♡♛♕♛♡

I stood at the edge of the beach, the storm still raging in the sea. The wind whipped my face and the spray of salt water dampened my hair and clothes.

I took a deep breath and waded knee-high into the water. I clasped the necklace around my neck and fiddled with the charm again. It hadn't even been 12 hours since Satori left, yet something was pulling me back to the water. I knew that I was going to go through with this no matter what.

I closed my eyes and muttered the words, "Duo ad unum"

Instantly, I felt off. Well, not off, just different. My skin tingled and my throat itched.

I watched as my legs joined together into a singular dark, murky-colored tail.

I reached up to my throat and felt around delicately, noticing that there were slits in my previously smooth skin. At the same moment, I realized my hands were webbed.

I plopped down in the water and sat there for a minute, trying to get a hold of my bearings.

After a few seconds, I shook my head clear from the thousands of questions I had. I didn't have much time if I wanted to save Satori.

With the thought of Satori in danger, I dunked under the water and swam off into the distance. I had no idea where I was going, only that I would find what I was looking for sooner or later.

Preferably the former.

***********************************************************************************************

What's your most embarrassing memory that you now look back on and laugh at?