_-*Chapter 23*-_

Tendou POV

*************************************************************************************************************

As we rode back, Haruka-san, Takashi-san, Shimizu, and Hitoka all chatted happily, with Wakatoshi occasionally joining.

I was content with looking out the window at the rolling fields that merged into forests and then into small villages and then coalesced into compacted cities only to start the process again until we reached the seaport city in which the Shiratorizawa castle was situated.

When we neared the water, I knew something was wrong immediately.

The air was bitter, but only in the way that someone with exceptional senses would notice. I sat up, suddenly alert, as we passed the docks, I could see the masts of the ships rocking back and forth hazardously.

The sky was evidently darker here than it was in Karasuno. The winds blew ferociously and the spray of the sea wet the streets a fair distance from the shore. People hurried past like scattering mice.

The royals accompanying me noticed my concern and glanced out the windows themselves. They too were taken aback and Takashi-San ordered the coachman to halt the horses.

The king threw open the carriage and questioned the nearest citizen.

"What is happening?" He asked a short, multi-colored-haired peasant.

"We're unsure, y-your majesty," He stuttered, his eyes widened in recognition of the king.

"How long has this been going on?"

"For a few hours at most," He stumbled, the harsh wind rocking him off balance.

"NOYA," A voice called from somewhere I couldn't see.

"I-I'm sorry, your majesty, I-"

"It's alright," Takashi-San smiled reassuringly, "Stay safe...Noya."

The short man bowed and hurried off.

The king sat back in the carriage, looking perplexed. He then ordered the coachman to take us straight to the castle.

Wakatoshi gripped my hand and looked at me worriedly. I had a feeling he knew that I had an inkling of what was happening.

♡♛♕♛♡

As soon as we arrived, he whisked me off to his room.

Immediately, he turned to me, anxious, a look I don't believe I'd seen on him yet.

"Satori, what is happening?" He paced back and forth.

"I-it's my father," I stuttered, hanging my head in shame, "The eels must've told him I disobeyed him and came to the surface."

"Your father," Toshi mumbled under his breath, a shadow passing over his handsome features.

"I have to go back," I said, making my way toward the door. But before I could take two steps, Toshi engulfed me in a hug from behind, his arms limiting my motion and restraining me from moving farther away.

"He'll hurt you, won't he?" He whispered softly, his breath tickling my ear.

"..." I bit my tongue and didn't respond.

"Satori," He begged, turning me around to face him, "I don't want you to go back."

"Toshi," I cupped his face, "It's me or your kingdom."

"He can take my kingdom," He said immediately, "I just want you!"

"...Toshi, it's your duty to protect your subjects," I tried to reason with him but he shook his head.

"Take me with you then," His eyes begged me, I nearly caved but the thought of what would happen to him woke me up.

"I-I can't Toshi," I sobbed slightly, "I w-want to, but I can't."

"Why, Satori?" His eyes threatened to spill tears, "Why do you have to push me away?"

"It's not like I want to!" I choked out, "But I have to, t-to protect you..."

"I don't need protection," He replied, "I should be protecting YOU."

I sighed and laid my head against his chest, refusing to let my emotions get the best of me. I took a deep breath, steeling my nerves, determined to unwaver. 

"Toshi, take me back to the water," He opened his mouth to fight back again, "please, Wakatoshi..." I added softly, the will to fight not coming.

He closed his mouth and silently nodded, a look of sadness in his eyes.

***********************************************************************************************

What is the first thing you notice in someone?