Chapter 16: And The Parent Of The Year Award Goes To...

"So often survivors have had their experiences denied, trivialized, or distorted. Writing is an important avenue for healing because it gives you the opportunity to define your own reality. You can say: This did happen to me. It was that bad. It was the fault & responsibility of the adult. I was, and am, innocent." -The Courage to Heal by Ellen Bass & Laura Davis

Y/N pov:

We hear a loud knocking on the door, and I can't help but whisper to myself.

"Great... just wonderful."

"Come in!" The door opens and I see them, they've changed a lot since I last saw them, but I still recognize them. They walk into the room, staring at me, their eyes pierce through my very soul.

Even though I've moved out, and I haven't talked to them in ages, I'm still a bit intimidated by their presence.

"Hey..." They don't stop staring. "Hello, Y/N, you haven't talked to us for a while, have you?" My mother says.
I sit up a bit straighter. "No, I haven't, and you know why..." "Yes, because you think you're better than listening to us, instead you want to lay up with a dime whore and waste your life." I can feel the stupidity of the statement in my core. "Waste my life? I went to college like you asked, maybe not for what you wanted, but I went, and now I have a decent life."

My Dad looks at me sternly. "You could have been a banker, or a lawyer, or a police officer, but no, you throw all of that away, so what, you can play handyman on computers?" "I'm an I.T Manager, there's more to it than that, if you cared,  you'd have known that!" I go into a coughing fit, and Tangle pulls me closer. "And also...

Don't call my girlfriend a whore."

Tangle smiles as I say that, and I kiss her. They seem taken aback by this. "Her? Why her? She was never a good influence on you!" Jewel suddenly speaks up. "And you were?" They turn to her, looking upset she even spoke. "Shut up, you aren't a part of this, besides, what have you done in the past few years?" My mom smirks as she says this. "If you must know, I've opened a very successfully mineral museum. Seems we we're a bit more successful then you expected."

Mom looks like she really didn't expect that, and she starts stuttering a lot. Then Tangle says something.

"You know, you guys haven't even asked once if he was ok, or what happened, or anything, all you've done is complain that he's not your perfect little slave!"

"We're here because this is the exact thing we knew would happen, your reckless lifestyle brought you here, but we can help you turn your life around!" What? What are they talking about? "Do you even know what happened? How I ended up here? You are obviously blind to the situation!" "We don't have to know the exact reason, but we know it has to be your lifestyle, you didn't listen to us, and look where it got you, you should come home with us, we'll set you straight!"

I feel Tangles tail wrap around me protectively. "No, he's coming home with me!" I've never heard her upset at all before. "No, he is our son, and you do not get to-" I feel my anger rising as I listen to them argue. I finally feel confident enough to yell at them, either that or don't care enough anymore.

"GET OUT!"

Everyone looks at me in shock. "What did you just say to us?" I hear my father say. "Leave right now! I never want to see you again, all you do is criticize and complain when you don't get what you want! Just get out of my fucking life!" They look at me for a while, then leave, slamming the door. I feel tears welling in my eyes. I hug Tangle tightly and cry into her chest. She hugs back and comforts me for a while. I'm so glad I have her, I would have gone insane a long time ago. She's so perfect... and now I have her all to myself...

After a while I hear her speak softly to me. "It's ok... just go to sleep for a while, it'll all be ok, baby..." I nod and close my eyes, and try to fall asleep. Before I do I hear her say, "I love you..." I try to say it back, but it comes out as an incoherent mumble. She giggles and kisses my forehead, and soon drift off.

I used to think tomorrow was just another day, but now I know, every day is special in its own little way...