Chapter 50: The Chao Race.

Y/N pov:

"Go!"

All the chao's take off from the starting line. I hear Tangle cheering, but I ignore her, I'm too busy trying to find cheese in all the chaos. I see him come out of a group of them. He's much faster than the rest. So he should win this easy peasy. Then a Chao that looks like... Shadow? How does that work? Does Shadow have a chao in the race? ...Whatever, questions for later.

The Chao knocks cheese of the course. That has to be an illegal move, right? What am I saying, this is black market stuff, I'm surprised it's not a Chao fighting ring. Cheese gets back on the course, and speeds off after the Chao. I look on and see the course is huge! I wonder how much all of this cost to build. After a little while I get tired of watching the stuff, so I go to the bathroom, do my business, and sit on my phone for a bit.

I'm glad to have gotten my memories back, and I'm glad to be with Tangle, and all of my friends again. But... I'm afraid that it isn't the same... I don't think Tangle loves me like she once did... I think I ruined everything... I should talk to her about it when we get back to HQ. I wash my hands and slowly walk out of the bathroom. I head to a food stand and buy another soda. I then slowly head back to where Tangle was. I don't see her anywhere, and I see the Chao race is over.

I look around for a bit, and eventually I get a call on my phone, it's Tangle. I answer it, but hesitate to put it to my ear. "Hello?" "Hey, where are you?" "I just went to the bathroom, where are you?" "I'm on the second floor balcony with the others, Rouge says she wants you to come with her." "Oh boy, alright, I'll be there." I hang up, and quickly make my way to the balcony, where everyone is waiting. Cream sees me and holds Cheese high in the air. "Cheese won!" "Oh, that's great!" Rouge then quickly walks to me to speak.

"Ok, so I need you to come with me to confront Clutch." "Why?" "Just in case think go sour, you shall play the role of my bodyguard." I shake my head.

"Heh, I'm too pretty to be intimidating."

She smirks. "Well, you don't have to be intimidating, because you can back it up regardless." I shrug. "Fair enough, so when are we headed there?" "Right now, c'mon!" She grabs Cheese from Creams arms and starts dragging both me and him towards the rooms. I turn and wave to the others. "Bye guys!"

After a bit we're outside a room door, and Rouge taps my shoulder, handing me an earbud. "What's this?" "Earpiece, just in case." I shrug and put it in my ear. "Testing, one, two." I hear her in the Earpiece as well as right next to me. "Yup, it's working." She gives me a thumbs up, and knocks on the door. After a bit, the door opens, and I see the familiar green fur. "Who is it?" Rouge walks into sight. "It's me, we talked about selling my Chao earlier?" He smiles. "Ah, yes come in!" He closes the door, unlocks the chain, and lets us in.

His room looks more like a hoarders stash, with a narrow pathway surrounded by boxes upon boxes of various items. We make it to a chair fit for a king, and he sits in it.

Ah, I see, he has a superiority complex.

"So, this little guy beat my star racer?" He gestures toward the same Shadow Chao I saw before, sitting on the floor beside the chair. He kicks it across the room. "Still not good enough, even after all of the training I did with you." I look at the Chao, who is hiding in the corner.

I hold my hand out to it, and it slowly comes to me. I pick it up, and sit behind a box, so Clutch and Rouge can't see me. "Hey there buddy..." the Chao looks up at me, it's threatening demeanor gone, replaced by sadness and frustration. "I promise you, he'll get what's coming to him one of these days..." The Chao nods and hugs me. "Chao chao..." I pat his head, when I suddenly hear commotion behind me.

"You think I wouldn't remember you, Rouge the bat!?" My eyes widen, and I stand up, running around the boxes to the two of them. I'm about to kick him, but he throws Rouge into me, and we both fall back into some boxes. I sit up and look at her.

"Probably won't remember you, was it?"

She sits up too. "Not really the time!" As we stand up to face him again, he's gone. "Don't let your guard down." She whispers to me. I nod, and walk a bit forward, looking for Cheese and Clutch. I then hear a loud crash behind me. I look to the sound, and see a large Egg Pawn behind me. Before I have time to react, it swings at me, and hits me so hard I fly into a window, shattering it.

I catch myself so I don't go flying out, but just barely. I feel shards of glass in my back and hands, but I try to ignore the pain, climbing back into the window. "Fuck me runnin..." As I climb back into the building, I see the familiar outline of Clutches suit, holding a wispon. He fires a shot, which narrowly misses my head. I quickly dash across the room, and he fires another shot, hitting me right in the stomach.

I fall back a bit, but I'm still on my feet. He fires another shot, and hits me in the chest, sending me flying out of the window. I narrowly catch myself on the windowsill, forcing the glass deeper into my hands. "AAGHH, FUCK!" I feel the cold wind on my wounds, and try to pull myself back up. I suddenly feel a sharp pain on my hands.

I look up and see that Clutch just hit my hand with his cain. I try to punch him, but he dodges, and forces me to let go by pushing on my head with his cain. I fall down, from three stories up, I fall for a while. I suddenly hit the ground, forcing the glass deep into my back, and I can't move.

"AAAAAAGGGHHHHHH!!!"