Chapter 20: It Takes Two To Tangle.

"You know when you think you know someone? More than anyone in the world? You know you know them, because you've seen them, like, for real. And then you reach out, and suddenly they are just... gone. You thought you belonged together. You thought they were yours, but they're not. You want to protect them, but you can't." -Ava Dellaira, Love Letters to the Dead.

Y/N pov:

Me, Tangle, and Whisper are currently on the rooftops of some buildings in Central City. Evidently someone has been impersonating Sonic, causing trouble, being a jerk. You know, the works. Right now we don't know how that's possible or who's doing at the moment. But Whisper has seemed unusually quiet today, even by her standards. Maybe she knows something we don't...but I can't just assume things either.

As we sit on the rooftop, Tangle is busy eating a sandwich, Whisper is looking through the sight of her wispon, which is super awesome by the way, I'm pretty sure it's custom made, and can hold every wisp! Her wisps are cool too, she can understand them from a translator built into her mask, that's awesome! As I look into the streets, the only light showing is the occasional streetlights. The only thing illuminating our rooftop is the faint glow the wisps give off. The blue and green ones are huddled beside me, doing the same thing I am. I'm just watching the night skyline, looking at the lights brighten the horizon.

It's really beautiful in its own way here, but you can't see the stars here like you can in Spiral Hill.

I hear the sounds of car horns, people talking, and some faint jazz music from a local restaurant. Though some people may find these sounds horrible, even the jazz, I find it relaxing in an odd way.

I suddenly hear another sound, a voice I've only heard as cheerful and cocky as can be, Sonic The Hedgehog. I look around and see him running, not as fast as usual, through the city, saying pleasantries to the passers-by. I pat Whispers shoulder, only for her to try and ward me off. "Look!" I point to the fake Sonic. She sees, and she takes aim with her Wispon. "First we incapacitate, right?" She doesn't respond, and I see the fake Sonic look straight at us, then he runs to another person, holding them close to his head, probably to give Whisper a difficult shot.

I hear her give a quiet remark. "Why..?" It confuses me a bit. So she does know more than she lets on, but what does she know? Suddenly I see Tangle come between us, assessing the situation. She then looks like she has an idea "I could go on that rooftop there," She points at a rooftop opposite the one we're on. "and I could act as a decoy, he'll think you moved, and you can take the shot when he thinks he's safe." Whisper merely nods her head, and Tangle looks excited we're going with her idea.

"Y/N, stay with Whisper!" She swings off across the rooftops, trying not to be seen. I want to ask Whisper some questions, but I'm a bit intimidated by her. "S-so, umm, you seem very... interested... in whoever this is...." She looks back at me, the lens of her mask piercing through my entire body all at once.

"Don't."

"Alright then." I shut up and continue watching, I see Tangle has herself positioned on the rooftop she pointed at earlier, and has her tail in the shape of Whispers wispon. The fake Sonic looks up at her, and leaves the person he was talking to in the middle of the street, and hides in an alley. Whisper prepares to take the shot, but before she can, he looks up at us again. Whisper take the shot, and he dodges it with just a flick of his head. He runs further into the alley.

Whisper gets up, and starts running across the rooftops, her wisps following closely behind. I reluctantly stand up and follow her. Everytime I jump to a new rooftop I'm scared I'll fall down into the alley below and break my legs.

After a while of running, lose track of him in one of the back ways. Whisper looks ready for a fight. "Ready yourself, he'll attack from the darkness." "So you do know this guy then."

"More pressing issues right now."

"Fair enough." I prepare myself to fight someone, but after a while, no one comes, confusing me. "You think he just left?" "Maybe- AAGHH!" I hear Whisper yell behind me, I turn around and see a figure attacking Whisper. I just stand there awkwardly, not sure what to do. After a few seconds, I cone back to my senses, and I charge at him, barreling into him with my shoulder. I hear him groan, and he punches me in the stomach, causing me to gasp for air. He pushes me away, but I quickly regain my balance.

I try to think after something funny to say, but I'm drawing a blank. Whisper suddenly appears and lunges at him with her wispon using the blue wisps energy. The Shockwave hits him, and he flies back towards me. I make sure he doesn't hit me, then I run towards him, hoping to punch him. I land one punch on his stomach, then one on his face, but he stops the third, and he dislocates my arm with one fell swing.

I groan in pain, and I suddenly feel him pulling me by said arm, making it hurt even more. I look up, and I'm not sure what I'm seeing, it's too blurry. He slams me against some thing that feels like concrete. I feel him lift my legs up, and then I feel nothing but wind, and a light spin. I can't even feel the ground. Did he throw me off the roof? I get my answer as I fall on my back onto something that feels like flimsy plastic, then I fall farther onto more concrete.

I lay there hacking and coughing for a few minutes. The impact knocked all the air out of my lungs. After a while, I stand up and look up at the rooftop, I heard fighting while I was recovering, and now I see Whisper chasing the figure across the rooftops.

"Yea, I'm great, thanks for asking."

I say, as if she can still hear me. I decide to walk out of the alley, walking slowly since my back and arm hurts pretty bad. As I walk out I see a coffee shop. I walk over to it and order my favorite, a Salted Caramel Macchiato with cain sugar. I get the drink and sit down, ignoring the stares I'm getting from people. I must look pretty bad, hopefully it's not too bad.

After a while I'm halfway done with the coffee. I lay back in my seat, and I hear Tangles voice calling me. "Hey! What happened?" She's walking to me from the sidewalk. "I got my ass kicked." "Oh, where's Whisper?" "Went off that way chasing the guy, she knows who he is by the way, but she won't tell me how." I groan as I try to set my arm back in place. "Well, maybe it's a painful memory for her." I quickly set my arm in place, and curse myself as I feel the pain course through my system.

"AAGHH! OH, SHIT HELL DAMN!"

"Sorry... yea I guess you're right, so where were you when we were chasing him?" I ask, honestly confused on where she was. "Trying to catch up, you ran pretty fast." I sigh and lay back. "I think this was a mistake, Tangle. I should have just stayed at HQ, now look at me, I'm a damn mess." She opens her mouth to say something, but before she can, I hear... Tangles voice... again?

"Y/N, THAT'S NOT ME, GET AWAY FROM HIM!!!"