Chapter 2

"That must be exhausting my dear."

"It is, I grow up with a dad who was a doctor and a mum who was a nurse. Suddenly I'm given a lot of money and the vultures came circling. Unfortunately I was in a weak state and allowed some of them into my life. Why am I telling a stranger my life story?"

"I suspect this is the first time anyone has asked you how you are really feeling and meant it."

"I was just thinking I need a break from this place, this town. I have heard of your son's company. That doesn't change the fact I don't know any of you."

"My family moved into Manor House some years ago when my late husband's nephews moved to London."

"That means nothing to me Mrs Dudley."

"Cassie please, Manor House is a large estate with farm land and horses. It used to be a part hotel part home now it's just a home. Why don't you come with me to England and see it for yourself."

"I don't know, like I said before I don't know you."

"Well you know I'm not a serial killer my dear. You're a high profile person I'm not going to kill you now am I?"

April pours herself a cup of tea grateful the water was still hot. "I can see the stress on your face. I know the last few years haven't been the best for you. I have a big family right now you have no one."

"I have my adopted sister and brother," protest April.  Meghan and I were so close when I worked for her doing admin. We got on so well she trusted me completely."

"You betrayed her and I'm afraid you didn't have to work with him but yet you did."

Putting the cup down April stands and starts to pace the room. "I went back to college and did a degree so I could manage the company. It never really belonged to me it was meant for Meghan."

"She gave it to you so it belongs to you."

"I don't want to run a company  because I want to be married with kids. Instead I'm in my thirties with no man and fake friends."

"Come to England with me and meet my grandson. I looked into your background you don't have a relationship with any of your siblings anymore. When the truth of your parentage came out they cut off all ties with you. I know they sent the money back you gave them."

"No one knows that because it's not public information. Out of love for me they say nothing negative about me in public. We did grow up together after all."

"I went to see them and they told me everything. If you join our family there can be no scandal attached to you whatsoever."

"Kimberly and Ethan just gave you information about me just like that?"

"Yes, because they feel bad about what they did to you all those years ago."

"Yet despite having my phone number they never called or text."

Cassie was in shock, "I would have thought after everything you would've changed it."

"My sister has my phone number I can't change it."

Cassie looks at her with pity in her eyes, "I understand dear. You're talking about the royal one right?"
April wipes her eyes with a napkin and nods her head. "I'm sorry my dear I'm sure some day you and your sister will make peace."

Smiling sadly April takes a sip of her tea. "She hates me, I see Meghan's sister and her sister in law all over town. I maybe the top dog in park avenue circles but they are actually royalty.  I can't compete with that."

"Like I said before April you will get a title when you marry my grandson."

"I wasn't talking about the title."

"I know but you still need to know you will have one.  You and Ashton have a lot in common."

April laughs bitterly, "His father runs a company and I run a company. We have nothing in common from what I can see."

"You're both in a great deal of pain and he will give you family and you will give him purpose."

"Your son will give him his company someday."

"Someday is not today."

"Why me?" Ask April