Chapter 6

Maybe they don't have a good relationship she thinks to herself.  Later that night as she was taking her makeup off she hears a knock on her bedroom door. April quickly ties a robe around herself and opens the door.  To her surprise it was Cassie.

"I just want to thank you again for coming to England."

"Now that I'm here I'm glad I took a chance on you."

"My son was quite taken with you."

"I noticed that as well does he not get on with his eldest son?"

"As far as I know they get on very well. Here I bought you some chocolate from Fortum and Mason." She gives her the famous blue box.

"That you."

"You're welcome I'll see you tomorrow."

April put a chocolate in her mouth when she was alone and continues to take her makeup off. Clearly the mother doesn't know the son and grandson doesn't get on she thinks to herself.

The next morning Ashton opens the car door for her, "The town has changed a lot over the years."

"I'm sure it has."

Ashton drives them into the village and April is surprise to see except for some quaint houses it looked like Manhattan. "Wow  there is a Starbucks I wasn't expecting that."

"It wasn't like this when I was a child.  So many people moved up from London it's become London with expensive houses. My family used to own this pub now it's a very expensive place to eat." He helps her out the car, "This garage was owned by my great uncle and least it's still here."

"When was the last time you spoke to them?" Ask April.

"He died a long time ago along with his sister Margaret. Her daughter and her family have a bad history with this place. They were held at gun point in the pub."

"Wow that is crazy. I thought this place was mainly full of farmers."

"Well April it is but very rich ones from London hence the old families have moved on, well some of them."

"You guys lived in this village right?"

"By the time I came along my parents were living in Manor House.  My grandparents lived in two houses around here. Let me show you both of them."

"They really upgraded didn't they," say April has she admires the large house in front of her.

"My great uncle gave my grandfather some money and they bought this house with it. When my dad started his company and made enough money of his own. He bought Manor House from his cousins. He didn't like the way his cousins looked down on him because he was only rich because of being given their parent's money. It's true of course but my grandparents worked hard  for the money. They ran my cousin's company until they were old enough to run it themselves."

"That's sad your cousin's had that attitude."

"I know, it's why my father was determined to become richer than them. Now they hate that the family has an aristocratic title they can pass on and more money. My grandmother and grandfather did a lot of charity work to get the title."

"Title's are a big thing in Britain aren't they?"

"Yes they're,  and I'm proud of my grandparent's for the work they both did to get it."

"So what is your title?"

"Lord Adams ."

"Why is your mother's last name the name of the family's compay and not Adams?"

"My father wanted to honor his mother ."

"That's nice but his father must have felt like his name wasn't good enough."

"My grandfather understand why my father did what he did.  Oh let me show you the shop our family owned."

"Your family seem to own a lot of this town once upon a time."

"Not really.  My mother's cousin  Stiles used to live here with her daughter.  The daughter married into royalty and became a princess."

"Your family tree isn't what I thought it was."

"I thought you would've at least  checked up on my family before coming here?"

"I did,  but I had less than 24hrs to find out any information on you guys.

"So do you want to go to London later in the week?"

"I would love that."

"I'm sorry life isn't treating you well right now April.

"I'm in a different environment and in a different country.  Right now it's treating me very well Ashton."

"I keep reaching to take your hand.  Are you okay with me doing that?" He has looking into her hazel eyes.

"I would've told you if I wasn't okay with it Ashton. I'm not a pushover."

"That's good to know.'

After showing April the village and the buildings that meant something to his family. Ashton takes her to the pub his family used to own.

"I'm glad to see a fireplace it makes sure this place lives up to the stereotype of a semi rural country pub after all."

They find a table and look through the the menus, "Whats good here?" Ask April.

"The venison burger is decent.," answer's Ashton.

"I'll have than then with some fries."

April notices that people were staring at them, '"Does the lord of the manor not come in here often. Is that why people are watching our every movement?"

"My dad is the lord of the manor not me and  no my family doesn't come here often."

"We can go somewhere else to eat if you want?' suggest April.

"Let's go somewhere else, I know someplace quiet that serves amazing food."

"Lead the way."

After driving for thirty minutes Ashton parks the car at the  Nags Head pub. He helps her out the car. "There is no venison burgers here but the food is amazing.

April bites into her burger and helps  herself to a chíp, "This is really nice."

"I'm glad you like it. I'm curious who's running your company while you're here?" Ask Ashton.

"I'm only away for a week and my secretary will let me know of any emergencies.

"You're very strong, and you have confidence in your abilities. I really admire that about you."

"Thank you, it's a shame inside I'm a quivering mess.'

"You don't know how to take a compliment."

April was stunned, 'I do.'

'I just gave you one and you belittle yourself.'

'I never realised that before."

'I would love to take a look at the everyday operations of your company if you allow it of course."

April smiles, "I have to look through some emails later on why don't you look through them with me."

"I would love that."