Chapter 5

Just maybe they needed each other she thinks to herself.  She expected him to walk out the room, but he didn't. If she was to leave the house now April knew she  would be going back to an empty apartment. At least she was doing something different even if it was somewhat odd.

She walks back into the living room to see Ashton was still there.  His grandmother was nowhere in sight. "Why would you agree to something like this April?  Is your life that sad you hopped on a plane with a stranger?" Ask Ashton.

He looks at her and sees the pain etched on her face, "Oh god it is. I'm so sorry,  Oh and I'm sorry for my siblings being rude to you before."

"Why aren't you angry?" She ask him.

"I know my Nan means well."

"So, I'm guessing like me you're in a great deal of pain?" April needed to know she wasn't alone in her pain.

"Let's go for a walk around the grounds," he suggests instead of answering her question.

He helps her with her coat and takes her hand, "Wow this place is breathtaking," says April as they walk around the grounds and she sees a lake, lush vegetation and a wonderful garden.

"It is," agrees Ashton. "Menden is a place of healing but somehow it became a destination."

"I don't understand what you're trying to say Ashton."

"Well April think of this place like a hosptial you leave when you're well."

"I'm sure you're trying to tell me something but I'm not getting it."

"I'm sure you will in time," smiles Ashton. "Now about my grandmother's ridiculous suggestion."

"Us getting married you mean?" She ask.

"Yes, what do you think about it?"

"I don't know.   I've known you for less than an hour. You just called your grandmother by three different names."

"You're deflecting April. I read up on you this morning your sister is a real life princess. That must be hard for you?"

"Why would it be I'm not going to rule a country someday nor do I care about being a princess."

"Tell me about yourself April?"

"Well let's see right now I'm managing my dad's company as best as I can. My adopted siblings aren't talking to me. I just realised when I spoke to your Nan before and was going on about me hurting her. I meant Meghan not my adopted sister."

"Did you guys have a close relationship?" Ask Ashton.

"I was her assistant for over three years.  I ran her errands, made her appointments and did what she asked of me. I was working with my sister so I didn't care what she asked me to do for her.  The best part was she treated me well and she bought me gifts for a job well done. Sent me on vacations as a thank you and even when she found out who I was. She told me to take the week off. Which makes me wonder why did I do what I did."

"Why did you April? I mean the whole world saw you with her kidnapper.

"I genuinely wanted a relationship with my birth mother. My adopted mother treated me differently to her kids. I was blinded by that and common sense went out the window. Then when Meghan came to speak at the U.N. My birth mother said something which made me think she was guilty."

"What?" Ask Ashton.

"We saw a news piece on Meghan and she said if only it was as easy as Emma. She has so much security around her. I went to see Meghan after her talk at the U.N. I just wanted to see her. Nothing else but that woman found out where I was and the smile on her face was chilling."

"Why do you mean?"

"I saw the face of true evil for the first time.  I knew then she was guilty of everything even if her friends believed she was innocent."

"So you set a trap for her?"

"Yes, I wanted nothing to do with her after that but I had to pretend to be the loving daughter. If she could kill a pregnant woman she could kill her own child."

"That was very brave of you April."

"Not really, the brave thing would've been to not have anything to do with her in the first place."

"You made up for it though."

"And lost my sister."

"I now understand what you were saying before.  When you say sister you always mean Meghan don't you?"

"Well yes.  She is my sister."

"You are not so passionate about the sister you grew up with."

"She and my brother wants nothing to do with me and sent the life changing money I send them back."

"Meghan wants nothing to do with you yet she is the only one you refer to as your sister."

"For most of my life I've only thought of her as my blood sister."

"Oh I understand now."

"Tell me about you Ashton."

Ashton clears his throat, "I work for my dad and oddly despite what everyone thinks I don't want his company. I think Micah would be amazing as head of the company when the time comes."

"Your Nan thought you were upset your dad hasn't handed it to you yet."

He laughs, "My brother deserves it more than me. I genuinely don't want it."

"Then what do you want?"

"Honestly my own company I love working for dad but the company is his dream not mine.  Your company buys and improve other companies. You have your hand in everything from patents to making new drugs. You took that company from a Mickey Mouse outfit to a multibillion dollar company in five years. You should be proud of yourself April."

"Thank you for saying that."

"Well it's the truth."

"So this marriage," begins April.

"Let's see how the week goes first okay".

"Ok Ashton but I meant what I said before.  I'm not wasting my time on a drunk. I want to be a wife and a mother not a wife shielding her child from their abusive father."

"To prove I don't have a drinking problem I won't drink for the rest of your visit."

"Ashton you can sneak drinks in your room."

"I won't please trust me."

"I don't know you well enough to trust you yet."

"Then please get to know me."

"Ok I will.

That night April was introduced to the rest of Ashton's family.  His father to her surprise wasn't a cold and distance man. He was witty, engaging and asked her a lot of questions about her company. Ashton's siblings took her aside and apologised to her for the frosted reception earlier.

"You must be tired April your flight was very long," say Elizabeth.

"I'm but I did sleep on the plane so the jet lag isn't too bad.

Everyone was in the drawing room having a night cap. Ashton and April was having a hot chocolate each.

"Mother you kept it quiet you knew April Jones."

Cassie looks at her son, "It's not a big deal Arthur."

"In the business world she is a very big deal."

He looks at April in awe.

"April why don't I show you around the village tomorrow."

"I would love that Ashton." She notices Arthur glaring at his son.