Chapter 22(23on word)

"You must be Aston. It's nice to finally meet you, Lord Adams." Says Meghan.

"And you your highness.  Please come inside it's bitterly cold outside."

"Thank you, Ashton.  Arthur say hello to your Auntie April and Uncle Ashton."

The shy five-year-old clings into his mother's hand. "It's okay darling?"

"Hey buddy how are you doing?"

He doesn't  answer Ashton and instead turns his face and hold on to his mother's hand more tightly. He sees April and holds his arms out towards her. "Hello Arthur, it's nice to see you again."  She starts to cry as she holds her nephew for the first time. She sees Ashton helping three-year-old Nadia with her coat.

In that moment April could imagine her and Ashton with a family of their own.

The nanny takes Arthur from April and follows Peter.

"Oh April," Meghan hugs her and looks at her then she hug's her again.  George stands beside Meghan, "You remember George, April."

"I do Meghan, I mean your royal highness."

"In private you can call us by our first names okay."

"Thank you, Meghan," says April.  "Let me show you to your room so you can freshen up. The nanny's room is on the same floor."

"Thank you, I would love a tour of your beautiful home. You have a heated swimming pool right?" I would love to swim some lengths later."

"Yes we do, Meghan. The pool is in the basement."

After the tour Meghan and George join Ashton, April and her family in the living room.  "Meghan you remember my sister Kimberly."

"Yes, we've met many times when she came to New York to visit you."

"It's nice to see you again ma'am," Kimberly gives Meghan an awkward  bow from where she was seated.

"Meghan this is my mum Gina. Mum this is," continues April.

"Her sister Meghan", says Meghan as she sees the conflicted and pained expression on April's face.

"And lastly this is my brother Ethan," finish April.

Ashton was very proud of April for holding it together and Meghan for claiming April in front of her family.

"I've heard so many wonderful stories about all of you.  You must all be excited for the wedding?"  Ask Meghan.

"Yes we are your highness. We have never been to such a fancy wedding before," answers Kimberly.  "April is going to be Lady Adams and a future duchess. "

Ashton thought she sounded somewhat bitter and he clearly wasn't the only one. He sees the frown on Meghan's face for a split second.

"More importantly I'm marrying the man of my dream," says April.

"Maybe I'll find one of them at the wedding," everyone turns to look at Kimberly.  "If I can toast my sister and get laid on the same day what's the big deal?"

"Please don't bring a stranger into this house Kimberly."

"I was joking Ashton."

"Mum I was only joking," she looks at her mother.

"April's big day is about April and Ashton and no one else please remember that" her mother reminds her.

The atmosphere in the room suddenly becomes uncomfortable for everyone.

"Darling didn't you say you wanted to speak to Ashton about something," says Meghan quickly.

"Yes I did, thank you for the reminder darling.  "Ashton, can we go some where and speak privately?" Ask George.

"My study is this way."  He follows Ashton out the room.

"Mum, I can't believe we are in a room with a real-life princess. We will be able to say we met her when she's queen."

April who Meghan noticed was very quiet look at her sister in alarm. "Mary, April tells me you've just retired."

"Yes, I have your highness and I'm finally taking advantage of having a rich daughter. Kimberly is going to be studying medicine in the fall.  My Ethan wants to get his pilot's licence and I just want to put my feet up. I worked two jobs when their father died.  Sorry, this must be awkward for you since her real dad was your dad for twenty-eight years."

"Is she not your real daughter then?"  Ask Meghan.

"I didn't mean it like that, it's just."

"Dad was my dad, mum because he raised me," explains April fighting back tears.

"I know darling."

"I'm going to check on dinner I'll be right back," says April as she leaves the room.

Meghan rounds on the people in the room, "Why are you all here?  It doesn't seem like it's for April.  Legally for a long time she and I shared a father.  It's why she came to New York and started working for me.  I inherited that man's money because he was legally my father and hers for a very long time.  She is your family and she gets married in two days. You don't seem excited for her I half expected to be doing some weird Nebraska ritual before the wedding. I'm sad to see that April isn't being pampered by her mother and sister before her wedding day. She changed all of your lives.  Has anyone bought her something special for her big day?"

Everyone looks down at the floor, "it's not too late to make it up to her. You're rich now you can buy whatever you want.  If April means anything to you for goodness' sake, show it."

April who was listening outside the door wipes away a tear and cover her mouth to stop the sounds of her crying.

Ashton and George sip an espresso each in his study. George clears his throat. "Thank you for coming and speaking to Meghan, Ashton. I tried so hard to get her to speak to April. She needed a stranger to tell her how wrong she was. April means a great detail to her. They haven't had the chance before today to interact as sisters but they were friends before everything came out.  In fact, they were very good friends for many years. I'm asking you to look after April because she means a lot to my wife. I found her crying the other night that she could've miss such an important day in her sister's life. Just because she was so stubborn."

Ashton was touched by his words, "Don't worry I'll look after her.

"Thank you, I've known April and socialised with her for years. She is warm, caring and a kind woman.  The April in the living room seems timid and scared of saying the wrong thing and laser focused on her mother.  If they're not kind to her then please help her to cut them out of her life. The sister joking about bringing a stranger back to this house wasn't a joke."

"I know it wasn't."

"And you have other guest as well as her staying with you."

"Our staff won't let anyone we don't know into our house and it's a private street.  Security will call us before letting people and cars through the barrier."

"That's good to know since a future queen and king is staying in this house,"

"I had you and your family check out Ashton.  Your grandparents are remarkable.  I'm sorry for your loss by the way."