Chapter 25

But he's not, I'm deeply sorry for not being the mother you have needed me to be. I was jealous you found your real mother and worried you may want nothing more to do with me. I wish your birth parents were decent people but they're not.  I felt guilty using the money you gave me because it came from them. I felt I had no right to it and it felt wrong using a kidnapper's money.

You deserve the company April your birth parents both did you wrong. I'm proud you got that women send down. I know it couldn't have been easy for you to do what you did.

I'm proud of being your mother and I'm sorry I wasn't one to you for several years.

I've missed you so much.

I bought you a present and left it in New York for you. It's your dad's old record collection. I know how much you love it and how much it would mean to you to have it.  Ashton seems like a decent man and I'm glad.  I donated some of the money you gave me to a charity for trafficked woman and kids.  I got your dad a new gravestone and I hope one day you will come for a visit so I can show it to you.

April rereads her mother's letter again and smiles. Her mother did care she just didn't know how to express her feelings properly. She quickly calls her mother, "Hi mum."

"April you guys are back in New York?"

"Yes, we are, I just found your letter and the picture of dad when I was unpacking. Thank you for it and for dad's old record collection. Do you remember how he use to play that Neil Armstrong record before leaving the house when he had surgery that day?"

"I do, I can't believe you remembered that."

"It's one of my favorite memories of dad that and the two of you dancing in the kitchen together."

"He was a good man, yes he technically stole you but he did it to save your life."

"I know mum and please don't feel guilty about using the money. That man was a multimillionaire I'm a multibillionaire. Meghan gave me the money not him and I made sure I was a better businessman than him."

"My baby girl you really are."

"Mum, Ashton and I will try to get to Nebraska when we can.  In the meantime, can you please send me a picture of dad 's new headstone. I'm sorry I didn't think to get him a new one."

"You've been busy darling, just like I'm sure work right now is very busy."

"Yes, it is."

They talk some more and then say their goodbyes.

April goes to find Peter, "Hi my mum said she left my dad's record collection for me to find.  Do you know where it is?"

"It's in your walking closet.  I'll show you."

April opens the box and memories of her dad comes flooding back to her. She smiles as she remembers him teaching her to waltz after she was asked to her first dance.

Ashton looks through his wedding photos and frown then he looks at the upscale magazine which was open on his desk. He didn't do a deal with any publications for his wedding photos. So, he couldn't understand why they had such intimate photos of his wedding in it.

He runs his temple and sighs deeply, "Someone had betrayed him and April.

The phone on his desk rings and he answers it.  "Darling what time do you think you will be home for?" Ask April.

He pinches the bridge of his nose, "I'm not sure. It looks like it will be another late one tonight. I'm sorry I'll make it up to you I promise."

"It's okay I'll see you later."

April eats dinner by herself then go into the movie theatre and watch a movie. She must have dozed off because she heard Ashton telling her to wake up.

"You're home, what time is it?"

"After eight."

"The office closes at five."

"I know Ms Patel and I work late to send some papers to the company in England that you and I were thinking of buying."

"Don't forget to give her a bonus or a gift for working overtime."

"Don't worry I won't. Have you eaten yet?"

"Yes, but I'm having dessert with you. It's pecan pie and ice cream. I made the pie myself."

"I'm going to have a shower I'll see you in a bit."

"Ok, I need to brush my teeth.  I'll walk upstairs with you."

April put the phone away from her ear and grit her teeth, "You're working late again Ashton. It's been two weeks since our honeymoon and except for the weekends I barely see you."

"I have three weeks of work to make up darling."

"I know it's just we spent so much time together over the last two months and now I see you only for breakfast and dinner."

"Things should be back to normal by the end of next week let's go somewhere for the weekend okay."

"Okay, why don't I go to work with you next week and help ease your workload. We need to hire a deputy or something for you."

"Honestly the amount of work I find myself doing for this company wasn't something I expected to happen. My dad runs a very large company, and he was home every night eating dinner with his family. How did you manage to do all this by yourself April?"

"I had no choice I didn't know if I could trust someone not to purposefully mess up a deal.  They may have wanted the company to fail."

"It must have been hard for you not having anyone you could trust."

"It was but I have you now and I need you to find someone you trust to take charge when you're not there."

"We will find someone April.  This company is someplace people want to work. People are desperate to get their foot in the door because it's reputation as a employee friendly place. There's no stigma attached to it anymore."

"Who knew marrying someone with a fancy title can change a company's fortune."

"April you change this company's fortune.  It's why it's in the top ten places to work. You made it grow I just made people forget the founder of it. As a son of someone who owns one of the best companies in Great Britain and the world."