Chapter 31

"Didn't you say you were sick of your friends and how your life was and that was the reason you agreed to my grandmother's ridiculous offer."

"True but I'm going to be honest and say I should've taken a step back and gotten rid of my friends before then."

"The important thing is none of them are in your life now."

"It's a wonderful feeling knowing that." Her phone rings she looks at the screen, "it's Ethan."

"Are you going to answer it?" Ask Ashton.

"Truthfully I don't want to."

"Then let it go to voicemail then," suggest Ashton.

She does, "That felt good. I want to do something fun."

"We have a roof terrace let's have dinner up there. The weather is getting warmer so it shouldn't be that bad," suggest Ashton.

"Let's go bowling afterwards I need to get out some aggression."

"While I order our food why don't you check where the nearest bowling alley is darling."

April hits the tennis ball," That's a point to me Ashton. It's not bowling but I'm loving playing tennis. Who knew there was a nice gym near us."

Several days later they walk into Sarah and Marco's penthouse, "Come in. I'm so glad you guys could make it."

"Thank you for the invitation, Sarah", Ashton gives her a bag with presents they bought as a thank you for the invitation.

"There's some gifts in there for the children as well."

"Thank you April I'm sure they will love them."

They take a seat in the living room, "Marco how is business?"

Ask Ashton.

"Good. It must be weird for you to be going into work as the boss Ashton?"

"Not really Marco. Did you forget I helped dad run his company and I don't know if you know this but I did five years of medical school which means I'm pretty passionate about what the company does."

"I didn't know you were a qualified doctor Ashton you kept that quiet."

"I'm not Sarah. I was unable to do my final exam for reasons I won't go into. I also have an economics degree."

Understanding shows on Marco's face he too had to change his chosen subject at university. "Sarah and I are putting together a gift basket for you guys to welcome you to your new home. Since I'm in the import and export business it will be mainly food."

"Thank you and it will be very much appreciated. There is a deli by us and the food on offer there wasn't what I was expecting. Having eaten in some great English shops the deli food is lacking. Fortum and Mason deli section was amazing."

"You clearly like your food April and know the difference between quality and quantity. I know a good delicatessen near your house. I'll give you the address later."

"Thank you, Marco. Ashton and I were thinking of having a housewarming party in couple weeks and would love if you guys would come. I was thinking of inviting Meghan and George as well."

"I'm sure she would love to come April. She has been so busy lately and your invitation would give her a much-needed break," explains Sarah.

Three weeks later April was showing her, Meghan and Alice around her house. "It's a really lovely house April. It's big but it still manages to feel cozy."

"Thank you, Meghan. Ashton and I really like it. I can already imagine our children playing in the back yard."

"You're pregnant?" Ask Sarah in surprise.

"No not yet," Answers April.

Elizabeth walks up to the trio with a glass of champagne in her hand. "I'm jealous this house is very nice. The street is so quiet as well. I bet you guys love living here."

"We do and after the noise of central Manhattan it's nice to come home to peace and quiet. If does helps the house has great soundproofing."

"You are living your best life April and I'm glad my brother met you. I can see you're both genuinely happy and that's what you want for your sibling, happiness."

"Ashton and I are happy and contented. Work is great and our work life balance has improved so much."

"You just reminded me of something April. Is Ashton still looking for someone to be his deputy because I know someone who would be perfect."

"Who Meghan?" Ask April.

"My cousin Prince Julio I'll email you his details. He has a lot of experience and this would make a great step up in his career."

"Meghan email both myself and Ashton the details and we will both take a look. We need someone who isn't afraid to discipline the staff if needed and won't take any crap for them. Ashton runs a tight ship as the saying goes."

"I completely understand April. You built that company up to what it is today. I'm glad I gave it to you. You not only changed its name but completely turned it into an extremely profitable business."

"Thank you, Meghan, for giving it to me and believing in me."

"It never really belonged to me April. Once I learned the truth there really was no doubt in my mind that it belonged to you. That man owed you his company and everything else he had. He stripped you of your dignity and right to life. It's only fair he sits in prison and see you alive and thriving something he never wanted for you."

"He's dead and I hope he's uncomfortable where he is."

"Well April I hear hell is very hot and hopefully he's gasping for air as we speak."

"I want to say that's cruel Meghan but I remember his words to me in the hallway that day."

"I'm glad you never had a relationship with him April because he was a cruel man in the end."

"But he genuinely loved you Meghan for many years."

"He loved he got his father's company because I existed nothing more. He spoke so cruelly about kidnapping me and leaving you to die."

"I know. He is gone now he can't hurt neither of us anymore."

Ashton and George who was listening don't say anything. Their wives were so engaged in their conversation they didn't hear them approach behind them.

Ashton hugs April from behind, "You're right darling. He can't hurt you anymore."

She holds onto his hand, "This is a party and we have guest to greet. This stunning home isn't going to show off itself now is it."

Everyone laughs at April's words and make their way downstairs Meghan hugs April who smiles at her.