Chapter 16

"Ignore them let's enjoy the rest of our day," says Ashton.

"Should be go back home?" Ask April.

"You promised me main lobster at Jean-George's for lunch and I'm holding you to that promise. Forget the press they will get their picture and hopefully leave us alone."

"You haven't heard of TMZ then Ashton?"

"What's that?"

"Gossip mongers you don't want to run into."

"If taking the car makes you feel calmer let's do that."

They were eating in the restaurant when Princess Sarah.  Meghan's sister comes over to their table and says hello to them. "You've changed your phone number,"  she whispers to April.  "I wanted to invite you to see the clinic and no I'm not looking for a donation. I would love to have lunch with you afterwards. Let me know when you're free."

April was flabbergasted, "You had my number?"

"Yes, Meghan gave it to me couple days ago and she has asked me to look out for you. I'm sorry for the way I have treated you in the past and I would like to make up for my bad behaviour."

April looks at Ashton not sure she was hearing correctly. "Give me your phone and I'll put my new number in there. Give it to Meghan as well okay."

"I will."

"I would like to invite you and your husband to my house for dinner when you're free."

"That will be wonderfully April."

She leaves and April smiles brightly at her husband, "Did that just happen?"

"Yes, it did and they're very trustworthy people."

"Why now.  Why apologise to me now?"

"Who knows.  Clearly, she and her sister have spoken. They must have realised they made some mistakes towards you in the past."

"Hopefully that means Meghan will call me or maybe even come to my wedding."

"It looks like it."

Dinner was lovely and before Sarah and her guest leaves the restaurant she hugs April. April was visibly moved by her actions.

"I still can't get over what just happened."

"Enjoy finally having friends you can trust April.  It would've been hard for her to apologise in front of a stranger. Knowing I would ask you what she did."

"Your right and yet she still did it. Are you still up for seeing Times Square?"

"Yes I'm."

They walk into April's company hand in hand that Monday morning. She felt lighter and he felt excited. He would relish working in an environment that dealt with his passion.

"This is my secretary, "Jade Patel."

"Jade this is my fiancé's Lord Ashton."

"It's nice to me your sir."

"And you Jade."

The petite south Asian woman gives him a big smile, "Can I get you both something to drink?" She asks.

"My unusual and Ashton what will you have?"

"Tea with two sugars and almond milk if you have it."

"Coming right up."

They walk into April's large office with a window overlooking Manhattan, "There is a bathroom through that door. After what happen with that man i made sure there was an en-suite to this office."

"I don't blame you."

April sits at her large mahogany desk and fires up her computer. Ashton sits on the leather chair facing her. "This first thing I do when I come in everyday is check my work emails. Company heads I work with directly have my personal email and vice versa. After that I check in with the heads of the different teams that work here."

Ashton listens as April tells him about the structure of the business and how she manages the day-to-day affairs. She takes something out of her desk, it was a new phone. "This is your new work phone and if you don't like the brand we can get you a new one."

Anton takes the latest iPhone from her, "Thank you."

Jade comes in with their drinks, gives it to them and leaves. "I have several meetings with the department heads today and later on I'm going to see a client at his office.  We own his company as part of a restructuring.  However, he told me he didn't want to retire yet. I'm glad I listened to him he has since helped developed an amazing new Alzheimer's drugs."

"That's great and you own the patent on that?" Ask Ashton.

"Yes I do.  John who we are going to visit later only owns one percent of his company. He works because his job is a passion for him not because he needs the money. The drug is still in early clinical trials at the moment."

The day passes quickly and Ashton takes in everything like a kid in a candy store.  April phone rings just as she puts her handbag down on the console table at her home. She didn't recognise the number.

"Hello, who's this?"

"Hi April, it's Meghan.  Is now a good time?"

"Erm of course it is Meghan just give me a minute to get my bearings I just got home."

"Why don't I call you back."

"No really it's okay I know there's a time difference and your schedule is hectic."

Next chapter is epic. I didn't bring Meghan into the story earlier because we needed to see April's life before the sister's speak again. We saw Meghan's outcome we needed the contrast. How amazing was Ashton to speak to Meghan so she softens towards her? I would love it if you give me a vote and comment on the story.