Chapter 29

"We can make that happen Ashton but we still need to take everything away from them and I mean everything.  I'm sure if they have money and are still pleading poverty.  They have houses and who knows what else we don't know about. Unfortunately, if we humiliate them in the newspaper, it will make me look like a fool," continues April.

"Then April we use the park avenue grapevine to humiliate them instead. I'll make sure they won't get hired even in a Burger King," says Ashton.

"See how well they are working together darling?"

"Yes, Annalise we pick the right people. We need details from the both of you about how you're going to let the Millers pay."

"Well Derek I was thinking of...."

"That's great April but the fine details are very important in this job. Walk me through what you want and honey you help Ashton with his plans."

"Well, that was unexpected Ashton," said April has they make their way to their new home.

"Tell me about it, I can't believe Brad worked the way he did and no one at his company knew about it."

"I know your best friend owns the company Brad used to work for Ashton but I have to admit I wondered if he knew what was going on there."

"Derek would've checked over the company and books with a fine-tooth comb.  If he thought for a second Jack knew what was going on he would've told us.  Our friends and family need to be trustworthy April."

"At least our temporary home is one of the listings we liked when we were looking for a new home."

"And the plus side of it is Mindy doesn't know the address.  I know she confessed who the mole is at our company. As the boss I want to see just how untrustworthy she is."

"You mean the mole Aston dear?"

"Of course, darling."

"I'm not a fan of living in a rented house. Who knows when it was last cleaned and most of our things are in the old apartment."

"I know, but if we like this house we can buy it and if I'm being completely honest April. It would be nice to live in a house instead of an apartment."

"I didn't know you didn't like the apartment, Ashton."

"I love it, really I do but we have a house now our own space. Which means no more making small talk with the neighbors."

"You are right.  They were a pain to deal with, suddenly I was okay to talk to because I got married."

"You never said anything to me darling."

"I didn't think you wanted to hear how even more pathetic your wife was darling."

He kisses her as the car stops outside a brown stone, "So this is the upper west side. So far I'm liking the neighborhood feel to this place and there is a garage as well."

"Peter opens the front door for them, "This place is amazing", he says to them.

They follow him and he shows them where everything was. The kitchen was light, airy and spacious with a large range oven and separate wolf fridge and freezer. April walks the length of the backyard, "This place is even better in person. The picture and video didn't do it justice. Look at all those trees we have privacy Ashton. When the weather is warmer it would be great to have a barbecue here with our friends and families."

"We should definitely do that. I like everything about this house even the light blue and gold dining chairs. April this place is stunning we were fools to not come and tour it."

"We are here now and there's an artisan deli on the corner. I can't wait to shop in there. Most of our New York friends are living in apartments. I'm so happy to be in a house. My old furniture doesn't fit the vibe of this place."

"True but I'm glad your cloud sofa is here. We need to put your apartment up for sale."

"We can do that sometime next week or whenever. Right now darling let me enjoy having a house in Manhattan."

"Now that you're married a house is more attractive to you, isn't it?" Ask Ashton.

"Yes it is.  Can't you imagine us sitting here in the summer with our kids. Chasing my niece and nephews around the garden. That reminds me I need to tell people we have moved."

She leaves Ashton alone in the garden and Peter joins him, "How did you manage to put a tracker on Mindy?" Ask Ashton.

"Trade secret sir."

"I want a report on Mindy from the moment you put the tracker in her until you got a call from your former boss and didn't tell me or my wife."

Peter swallows nervously, "It will be on your desk by the end of the day sir."

"Good and you're right this place is amazing. What's for dinner?"

"I'm afraid I haven't done a proper food shop as yet sir. Derek said to prioritise getting the furniture and beds here."

"We will just order takeout. Do a full the fridge, freezer and cupboard food shop will you."

"It's been already placed with the supermarket for tomorrow sir. You and the misses need to check it over and add whatever else you want to it."

"I'm curious about something Peter.  When you met Mindy for the first time she was playing lady of the manor or in this case apartment wasn't she?"

"Yes, she was.  Your wife is a wonderful woman sir but she allowed herself to be surrounded by some vile opportunistic people. "

"I know and the fact her family never mind. I'm going inside now."

Ashton walks thorough the house looking for April.  He finds her in their bedroom. "You seem down." He joins her on the bed.

"Everyone around me is using me or has used me."

"I'm sorry that's happened to you but you were vulnerable and people took advantage of you. Mindy and Brad needed you so would've created the kind of friendship they thought you would want."

"Annalise saw through her right way Ashton I didn't."

"Annalise unfortunately has had to deal with the worse of humankind so of course she knew what she was looking at."

"I don't feel bad about taking the kids away from the Millers. I should Ashton but I don't."